Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the classic newb blunder. I was doing the College Hills horn upgrade on my 2017 when I inadvertently left the screwdriver I used to pop the retaining clips in a bad spot. I made a wrong move and the screwdriver dropped into the space now opened by the removal of that top cover, right in front of the radiator down to who knows where. :eek::mad::cry:

Two questions. First, if this is where it fell, is it possible the car is unsafe to drive? Second, is there any way I can retrieve this thing without pulling the whole bottom front of the car apart?

The horn install, BTW, went fine. I was doing this because on Friday I am leaving on a 1,000 mile drive, and didn’t want that measly horn in case I needed to use it. I really don’t want to get on that drive with a screwdriver sitting somewhere in the engine compartment. :oops:

Last question - what’s Honda going to charge me if I have to take it to them to have my dumb mistake dealt with?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Isn't that annoying. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me (in general, not specifically in the place you've done it). Usually seems to happen just as I get to the end of a job and get careless. I've 'lost' tools, sockets, nuts, bolts, the tools I was using to retrieve the thing I dropped!

While I can't help you specifically, things in general that might help. Get one of those telescoping magnets and a telescoping mirror. Sometimes fishing around with the magnet you can come up lucky and the mirror can help finding where whatever is lodged. I've resorted to a magnet an a string sometimes. I've only ever lost one thing permanently and that was a socket and it was in a spot where is was unlikely to get in the fan or other delicate part of the car.

I've had to remove the lower splash cover on occasion to look from below.

Think of it was a puzzle. Not much of a consolation or help I know.Good luck..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I don’t want that thing in there before getting on the road. I made an appointment with a Honda on Wednesday morning. I have between now and then to figure out if I can get it out.

How does one remove the undertray on the ‘17? I’ll lie on the concrete to do it if it’ll give me a chance.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,874 Posts
The lower metal cover is held in place with 3 Phillips screws (but they are actual JIS cross point screws) two in front and one in the back. The 5 or 6 1/4 turn pins. You normally remove this cover to change engine and tranmission oil. Dropping a tool in the engine bay is not the worse thing to happen. Back in 1980 an airmen drop a socket in a Titan missile silo. Now that was a bad day.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
939 Posts
Pull the bumper and get it. You cant risk it puncturing the radiator or shooting back at a car behind you.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yeah I lost sockets and gave up on it when it laid on the lower frame waso not goingto cut my hands up digging or it

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pull the bumper and get it. You cant risk it puncturing the radiator or shooting back at a car behind you.
Either one is exactly my fear. I pulled two of my most powerful flashlights out and searched as hard as I could. I even got under the car in my driveway and tried my best to look into those couple of holes in the underpanel. I couldn’t see anything. I banged the underside to see if I could hear it rattling somewhere in the undepanel. Nothing. I checked very carefully to see if I could see it lodged between any of the radiator shutter vanes. Nothing. I took a risk and started the car, figuring if I have to bring it to Honda I’ll have to do that anyway. It started up with no issue. I gently backed up a few feet and then pulled forward again. Nothing unusual happened. I don’t know whether to feel better or worse.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
939 Posts
Either one is exactly my fear. I pulled two of my most powerful flashlights out and searched as hard as I could. I even got under the car in my driveway and tried my best to look into those couple of holes in the underpanel. I couldn’t see anything. I banged the underside to see if I could hear it rattling somewhere in the undepanel. Nothing. I checked very carefully to see if I could see it lodged between any of the radiator shutter vanes. Nothing. I took a risk and started the car, figuring if I have to bring it to Honda I’ll have to do that anyway. It started up with no issue. I gently backed up a few feet and then pulled forward again. Nothing unusual happened. I don’t know whether to feel better or worse.
there arent many spots for it to go. This is behind the bumper. Its probably on the splash shield as stated above

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I don’t want that thing in there before getting on the road. I made an appointment with a Honda on Wednesday morning. I have between now and then to figure out if I can get it out.

How does one remove the undertray on the ‘17? I’ll lie on the concrete to do it if it’ll give me a chance.
Should of made an appointment to have them do the horn. joke

You will find it, if you can do a horn, then...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had the time I expect I could (thanks for that, BTW). The problem is I’m working during the day the next few days, until I have to get my tuchus out of bed early Friday morning to get on the road. Not sure I have the time to do a lot of disassembly.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m buying spare retaining clips in case I want to give this a try. Anyone know the part number of this little white piece shown at about 1 minute 10 seconds in this video?

Apparently this little part is in a couple of other spots and easily breaks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your street has a curb and the street isn't busy, drive one side of the vehicle onto it. This will give you some extra room underneath, and you won't need a jack and jack stands.

I now have dropped the engine oil cap twice into the engine compartment when filling the oil.

This turns a 20 minute project into a two hour bumper removal. I now set ot on the floor instead of putting it on top of the engine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a poster child example of why hand tools benefit from having attached free moving wrist straps (lanyards) attached to them, so the tool literally cannot get away from the hand by more than a few inches.
Yes. :rolleyes: I was so proud of myself as the job was getting the job just about done with no issues, when this happened. What ticked me off was I even thought that I should have placed the screwdriver on the driveway, but I just went out of my head as I was so close to finishing. :mad: This after just the day before I replaced that [email protected] stop light switch on my girlfriend’s Nissan Sentra. That went like textbook.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
just blow the horn it will scare out!

I remembered back in 2002 the Mannic brush guard days. the bolt dropped in Lol.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
In one of our earlier vehicles, access to a bolt was a hole drilled through a box-like part of the frame. Getting to the bolt was easy with an extension. Removing the extension wasn't. Whoever bought the vehicle after us it probably wondered what all that racket was. If anyone needs a 7/16 socket, I know exactly where it is, the socket not the vehicle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the replacement retaining clips (should they be needed). I’m going to pull the bumper later today. I have the plastic pry bars, which will hopefully keep me from damaging the finish. Any good karma anyone cares to pass along is welcome. 🤞

1 - 20 of 36 Posts