Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Emissions System Problem

43989 16
This just came on in the dash of our 2019 Honda CRV? What does it mean and can I still drive it?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
If it's solid, take it to the dealer at your earliest convenience and they will fix it under warranty. If it's blinking, have it towed to the dealer by Honda Roadside Assistance, and get a loaner from them while they fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had mine on (solid) and continued to drive/use the V for a week before got it fixed at the local dealer.
Yours is 2019, it should be well within the warranty. Should be free of charge.
My issue was the loose coolant cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sitting in honda dealership right now with my 2018 crv that has an emissions problem code displayed with the check engine light on. Service tells me they can run the code and get an idea of what is wrong or run a full diagnostics, but if they can't replicate the problem I will have to pay $99. It's still under warranty, but supposedly if they can't replicate the problem the customer pays for it because they don't have a way to bill it to warranty. I'm sorry, but this is complete BS. I should not have to pay to diagnose a problem or lack of a problem on a vehicle that is a year and a half old and well under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige
1,926 Posts
Sitting in honda dealership right now with my 2018 crv that has an emissions problem code displayed with the check engine light on. Service tells me they can run the code and get an idea of what is wrong or run a full diagnostics, but if they can't replicate the problem I will have to pay $99. It's still under warranty, but supposedly if they can't replicate the problem the customer pays for it because they don't have a way to bill it to warranty. I'm sorry, but this is complete BS. I should not have to pay to diagnose a problem or lack of a problem on a vehicle that is a year and a half old and well under warranty.
You def 100% dont have to pay

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,493 Posts
you mean the gas cap that the 5th gen doesnt have...

:rolleyes:

While true.. it is also possible that the owner has damaged the fuel seal inside the fuel feed pipe .. and that could create a problem that the emissions control system detects (very similar to an emission alert for a missing or loose fuel cap in older generation vehicles).

Supposedly there is a self sealing spring loaded cap inside the fuel feed that is supposed to pop shut when you remove the fuel nozzle at the fuel station. Honda specifically states that you are to NEVER ever put anything other then an approved fuel nozzle into the fuel feed of a gen5, which is why they give you a special fuel funnel in the spare tire kit for any need to manually feed fuel from a fuel can or other device.

There have been a few reports of people getting a gas fuel nozzle stuck in the fuel feed, though I am not sure how that happens.

Hopefully this is not the case here, because I very much doubt that would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 and newer do NOT have gas caps, but thanks for trying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, we've covered that already. What did the dealer say is causing your issue? Is the error still present, or has it cleared on its own?
Supposedly a filter which they will install under warranty (surprise, surprise!) Will get the vehicle back later today as part had to be over nighted. Time will tell. Still ticked about the whole "If we can't replicate the problem, you have to pay" bit. I'm thinking they didn't want to dip into any incentives they may earn by keeping warranty work to a minimum or something of the like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Supposedly a filter which they will install under warranty (surprise, surprise!) Will get the vehicle back later today as part had to be over nighted. Time will tell. Still ticked about the whole "If we can't replicate the problem, you have to pay" bit. I'm thinking they didn't want to dip into any incentives they may earn by keeping warranty work to a minimum or something of the like.
For the record, I just had them run the code instead of doing a full diagnostics - there was no way in hell I was paying for something that should be covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! I also have a 2018 Cr-v and fighting with the same problem((( I took it to the dealer and they can not find any problem.... just deleting the error.... In the past the error came up more rarely, but now is straight second day after I unplug the battery(I do this to delete the error)...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving my 2017 CRV yesterday the Emission System Problem came up on the dash. I just crossed 30KM and never been ruggedly used or anything. These vehicles are fucking duds and I wish I never bought it. Best part my warranty ran out 3 days ago. POS. Honda used to be a reliable vehicle, I don’t believe this anymore. Thinking trade in. It’s PCV valve which isn’t an expensive fix, but it’s three years old and barely used, and well looked after. The recall I’m sure had screwed the bearings in the engine as I live in a very cold climate so cold starts are nearly 8 months of the year. This will be the last business Honda gets from me.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,493 Posts
Driving my 2017 CRV yesterday the Emission System Problem came up on the dash. I just crossed 30KM and never been ruggedly used or anything. These vehicles are fucking duds and I wish I never bought it. Best part my warranty ran out 3 days ago. POS. Honda used to be a reliable vehicle, I don’t believe this anymore. Thinking trade in. It’s PCV valve which isn’t an expensive fix, but it’s three years old and barely used, and well looked after. The recall I’m sure had screwed the bearings in the engine as I live in a very cold climate so cold starts are nearly 8 months of the year. This will be the last business Honda gets from me.
So.. you joined the forum just to vent and let us all know you will not be buying any more Hondas simply because you have an out of warranty defect in your emissions system? Noted.

You admit in your case it was something as simple as a PCV valve... yet you are over the top angry about it and swearing off of Hondas? OK. Good luck... because you are just as prone to random defects in any other brand vehicle as well.

Note: Emission system defects are NOT very common in Hondas, and in a good number of cases they are traced to a loose radiator cap or a leaking fuel feed port on the capless fuel tank. But like any vehicle product... defects can and do happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.