Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 and the check engine light comes on for the 0420 code. i can reset it and it stays off for a few weeks at a time. the emissions is due (maryland if it matters). if i reset it how long do i have to wait before i can go? is it a time ie hours of run time? starts? or miles?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Some people use an extension on the Secondary O2 sensor to fool the computer to keep that light off.
Google it.
Buffalo4
PS: Some times people waste their money by replacing that O2 sensor because the real cause is usually the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Wouldn't a 2010 model need to have a LOT of miles on it for the converter to go bad, Buffalo4?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
You are correct.
We don't have much info on the mileage, any oil burning, smoking, misfire codes, rough idling, missing under power, etc
I will try to do some more Internet searching and searching in this forum for a better answer.
I just saw a youtube vid on using that extension for the secondary O2 sensor to fool the computer to get rid of that code.
Still that would only be a temporary measure.
Misfires can cause that code to come up also, and it could just be spark plugs.

So, for ValerieJeffrey just probably wanting to pass the emission test, I would probably suggest a high quality fill of the next higher octane gas and some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus (or SeaFoam or similar) at the recommended dosage or slightly more and try to use most of that tank of gas before the test.

Still, more searching may help. If the light stays off for the test, then they can research it further to FIX the cause of that light.

I don't believe in replacing parts (just throwing parts at the problem) unless you troubleshoot them first or have no other option due to time, etc.

Check Post #2 and others in this link: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/18490-how-do-you-clear-catalytic-convertor-light-1996-crv.html
which contains this sentence: " A mechanic can put a scanner on your car to see how responsive the O2 sensors are, they'll determine pretty quickly what's going on there."

Another poster had the problem with that code appearing after about 40 miles of driving and fixed it by unplugging the O2 sensor connectors, cleaning up the contacts and replugging them back in.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info. as stated im really trying to just pass the emissions and kick the issue down the road.

ill try the seafoam, two cycles and cross my fingers that the coded does not reappear before the test.

the crv has 134k but alot of that has been stop and go dc beltway traffic. so i dont know if that has lead to premature issues or not. it does not burn oil, the idle is fine as i regularly clean the throttle body. plugs were replaced recently. the o2 sensors seem to be in range but i have a cheaper scanner.

ill look up the o2 sensor wiring trick for sure. no info can hurt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Possible the many cleanings of the throttle body have had some cause here? I don't always believe that that cleaner is truely o2 or cat safe.
Just an idea.

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not think so. I remove the throttle body and only use sea foam. I'm not sure why the tb gets dirty. Maybe the pcv gets stuck open and it burns some oil but not enough to see on the dipstick.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
It is unusual that the throttle body needs cleaning that often.
Hopefully the plugs you put in were the recommended NGK or Denso, and not Bosch or AutoLite etc as some have had problems with other then the first two.
Why not just put in another PCV valve, as they are pretty low cost. Usually, if you can hear them rattle when you shake them, they are OK.
They can usually be cleaned with Carb cleaner, etc.

Well, hopefully as soon as the 'readiness codes' are set (should be able to tell with your OBD2 scanner), take it in for the test. :D

Is the tubing from your air filter to your throttle body intact?

Buffalo4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts