Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 CRV manual states the coolant should be changed at 10 years. It is now 11 years. What happens if I don't change it? Just wondering.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
My 2004 CRV manual states the coolant should be changed at 10 years. It is now 11 years. What happens if I don't change it?
It will be the the death of civilization, as we know it. :rolleyes:

But Seriously, if you let it go too long, the anti corrosive additives will deplete and the coolant will react with the aluminum in the system. This could plug a radiator or your heater core.

Remember, a drain & fill of the cooling system doesn't replace ALL the coolant, which is why Honda recommends a 5 year cycle after that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Risk of corrosion is the biggest issue. I also understand that the coolant has some lubricating properties that keep the water pump healthy. The coolant is not expensive and it's very easy to do yourself, so it's well worth doing.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Never did understand about the water pump lubrication, since it has a sealed bearing. Perhaps it has something to do with the vanes.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
If you drain the block also, and do several flushes with distilled water and refill with coolant to the proper mixture ratio, will it then again be a 10 yr change interval?
If you use Honda anti-freeze you would need to get the concentrate, I imagine , and mix it with distilled water, I think.
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
This page has some information regarding water pump failure and the effects that old or contaminated coolant has on the pump. It's not entirely lubrication so much I guess as it is contaminants that can be abrasive.

The stock Honda Type 2 coolant (blue) comes premixed so you just pour it in. Like other Honda fluids, I've seen multiple comments NOT to flush the system but instead just drain and refill. While there may be a plug on the engine block the service manual indicates to simply drain from the radiator (leave heater temp at max so you get the heater core as well). I believe that you don't get back 10 year life, rather the intervals going forward are more like 5 years. Still, it's cheap enough that 5 years isn't bad.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Honda also sells a concentrate, besides it premixed stuff.
That's what would be needed if you flushed the system with cleaner and then did several flushes with distilled water, then drained the radiator and block and wanted to get the antifreeze up to the desired mix ratio, since there would still be some distilled water in the system.
Thanks for the link. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ahh... Forgot about the concentrate. You are correct there. I took the lazy road, 30 minutes every 5 years, no fuss no muss :cool:

edit - BTW, this is another one of those Honda specific fluids and they recommend using only the Type 2. It could well be other coolant will also work, but I'm not inclined to try and save $7 and find out if it does... I'll use the Honda Blue Type 2 (hey, that rhymes)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do the pre mixed stuff but the concentrate with distilled water also works well. There are a lot of gaskets that keep intact with good coolant. Don't skimp on the blue stuff. There is an alternative to the Honda brand, but it's made specifically for Hondas and Acuras. Not a lot of savings. Most on-dealers use it. You can see it up on YouTube as it meets Honda specs. I think changing a bit before manual recommendations is playing things better safe than sorry. The rest of the fluids other than oil, go with the Honda lubes as they were made specifically for your car.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts