Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 4WD AT RHD (Japanese export model) in a warm climate (Jamaica).

Recently the car has developed a starting issue - turn the key, the engine cranks at normal speed, but it either doesn't start or it takes a few seconds before it does. It generally always starts on the second or third try, although it is still not as instantaneous as it was.

Doesn't seem to be a hot/cold issue - it will do it in the day even after being driven recently.

Once it starts it runs fine (just returned from a fairly strenuous drive in the mountains - no issues).

Tried always priming the fuel pump before starting, this doesn't seem to make a difference.

Changed the plugs and the fuel filter, but same result. Also battery is new and starter was replaced in the last year.

I'm a bit stumped - where to look next?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tunecrew: I'm not sure its helps to start a new thread on starting issues. I'm thinking it makes more sense to consider the two poor starting threads as one.
did not realise that thread is actually mine - but to be fair it is from 3 years ago and is a completely different issue that was resolved, so I think I'll leave this one here.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
When it doesn't start the first time, remove one of the spark plugs and take a look at it.
If it is wet, then it is getting fuel and there is probably a lack of spark.
If it is dry, then it is probably not getting fuel.
Probably wouldn't hurt to add some SeaFoam or Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to your gas.
I believe your 2002 CRV has an ignition coil for each spark plug, is that correct? I think the 2001 was the last yr that used a distributor.
It could also be caused by a stretched timing chain. I remember that being a cause of hard starting even back in the 50's, in American V8's. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it doesn't start the first time, remove one of the spark plugs and take a look at it.
If it is wet, then it is getting fuel and there is probably a lack of spark.
If it is dry, then it is probably not getting fuel.
Probably wouldn't hurt to add some SeaFoam or Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to your gas.
I believe your 2002 CRV has an ignition coil for each spark plug, is that correct? I think the 2001 was the last yr that used a distributor.
It could also be caused by a stretched timing chain. I remember that being a cause of hard starting even back in the 50's, in American V8's. :)
Buffalo4
Thanks - that is excellent advice re. the plugs.

Don't think it is the coils - once it fires up it runs great - no misfires or bad idle or anything, although still going to check them also

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Thanks - that is excellent advice re. the plugs.

Don't think it is the coils - once it fires up it runs great - no misfires or bad idle or anything, although still going to check them also
The timing chain can stretch, etc, esp if the proper oil maintenance hadn't been followed.
I don't know how to check it, but I'm sure you can find out online.
Please post back when you get it figured out. :D
Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts