Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening...

Patient is a 2004 5spd manual with 230K miles.
Owned since new, I used it to drive my kids to hockey rinks for 10+ yrs.
Great car for them now that they have their licenses, wish I could find a second one, but the 5spd is elusive these days!

Symptoms:
1) Occasionally hesitates to start 1st try, usually lights right up second twist of the key.
2) Slowing for turn/stop etc (clutch in so revs dropping to idle), engine will die. Requires key to off position and restart. Again, sometimes takes a 2nd twist of the key. FYI the car is warmed up at this point, it is not happening on the 1st slowing/turning event.
3) Filled tank the other day when sleuthing on #2. Car would not start after filling until I floored it while twisting key, and then it was reluctant to spin up. Not the usual free-revver I'm used to. Couldn't let it drop to idle or engine would die. Had to heel & toe at stops on the way home to keep the revs up & not stall. Once in the driveway, turned the car off with the key. Then it started normally 10 times in a row. o_O

Ran the scanner on it. No codes anywhere.

Some initial research was looking into vtech solenoid, but I'm not having any surging under power, no check engine light either.

I'm thinking maybe fuel pump relay?
Anything else I should look at?

Thnx!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MIleage is 234000
Plugs & coils are under a year old

Over last couple years, occasionally it had taken a second twist of the key to start, but that was very infrequent

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,785 Posts
I suggest cleaning the throttle body, and having the valve lash adjusted.

Your No-Start thing has happened to us several times over the years. If the ignition is switched off, count to 10, then attempted again, it starts every time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Otto: starter turns (very strongly) but engine did not fire up

Carbuff: I did the valve lash last summer. Couple were a little out of spec, no big deal adjusting. Everything under the cover looked great. I'm a 3500 mile oil guy. I'll pull the throttle body and dose it with cleaner today

If it was just the occasional two tries to start I'd shrug it off.
Having it stall when slowing for a turn etc with the clutch depressed is troubling (#2 in original post).
Don't want my kid to have an issue while on the road

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,785 Posts
TB cleaning caution: Spraying solvents into the throttle body can damage the throttle body sensor.

We always recommend soaking a rag with cleaner, then wiping the butterfly and bore down.

When my engine does this, I have to pull the key for 'a wile' 😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the TB cleaning tips. It is nice & clean not.
But I'm not sure that was the root cause of my problems....

Found this when I was opening everything up to get to the TB.

She may have been running a bit lean occasionally :unsure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This thing is still driving me nuts. Any insight to solving this will allow me to stay sane...

Couple weeks ago I pulled the TB and gave it a really thorough clean.
Pulled the IAC off and cleaned the snot out of that too. Tried triggering it w/12v and seems like it may have been stuck, so I replaced it.
New IAC tested perfectly, opened right up with 12v

Put everything back to back together. No codes showing on the scanner, but I cleared it anyway.
Started right up, but idle was up n down.
Ran the idle learn cycle, seemed to calm it down a bit at rest, but when driving, revs would jump up when I pushed the clutch in, then fluctuate for 10-15s before coming down to about 1300RPM .

I have done the idle learn several times since then, doesn't seem to do anything.
Have gotten the P0507 code (idle higher than expected) almost every time after driving for a bit

This morning I cleared the ECM/PGM with the scanner. Immediately ran an idle learn.
Ran IAC and VTEC tests using the scanner, all check OK.

So now, here's where it stands.
Car starts & idles around 1100, seemingly indefinitely, until I put it in gear and drive.
Move the car 20 ft, press the clutch, revs jump to 2500-3000. eventually settles to 1100, but seems to have a weird 50-100RPM pulse happening sometimes.

If I blip the throttle, it seems like it's going to drop to 'normal' (guessing 700rpm), but as it drops past 1000RPM, something overrides and holds it @ 1100

I can post a video of the pulsing if it helps...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,785 Posts
Did you replace that split intake hose? They DO flex as the engine shakes, so if you just sealed it with RTV or something, it could have separated again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, new intake hose, forgot to mention...the engineer in me doesn't go for rtv'g that kind of thing

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Why has it taken this long and not yet said, the most common cause of these issues?

The idle air control valve.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stuck in moderators inbox after editing a cpl hours ago....

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This thing is still driving me nuts. Any insight to solving this will allow me to stay sane...

Couple weeks ago I pulled the TB and gave it a really thorough clean.
Pulled the IAC off and cleaned the snot out of that too. Tried triggering it w/12v and seems like it may have been stuck, so I replaced it.
New IAC tested perfectly, opened right up with 12v

Put everything back to back together. No codes showing on the scanner, but I cleared it anyway.
Started right up, but idle was up n down.
Ran the idle learn cycle, seemed to calm it down a bit at rest, but when driving, revs would jump up when I pushed the clutch in, then fluctuate for 10-15s before coming down to about 1300RPM .

I have done the idle learn several times since then, doesn't seem to do anything.
Have gotten the P0507 code (idle higher than expected) almost every time after driving for a bit

This morning I cleared the ECM/PGM with the scanner. Immediately ran an idle learn.
Ran IAC and VTEC tests using the scanner, all check OK.

So now, here's where it stands.
Car starts & idles around 1100, seemingly indefinitely, until I put it in gear and drive.
Move the car 20 ft, press the clutch, revs jump to 2500-3000. eventually settles to 1100, but seems to have a weird 50-100RPM pulse happening sometimes.

If I blip the throttle, it seems like it's going to drop to 'normal' (guessing 700rpm), but as it drops past 1000RPM, something overrides and holds it @ 1100

I can post a video of the pulsing if it helps...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vac hoses all look good

And I drove it around town for an hour or so hoping it would 'learn' something. no change to behavior

1 - 20 of 25 Posts