Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law was driving down road and engine just shut off. It cranks , fuel pump is running, I removed valve cover and timing belt looks good. The motor cranks but will not start. Has anyone run into this before? Sure could use some suggestions. It is a2001crv 4 cyl.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1998 1st gen, 4cyl, 4 speed automatic, and have had similar problems (twice!). The first time, I took it to a repair shop because I was in a hurry and needed to get back on the road, and they replaced the distributor ($440 total), as the camshaft position sensor had failed, and I was told it is located inside the distributor. A year later, I am dealing with intermittent loss of power, so I have ordered replaced the ignition switch (Beck-Arnley 201-1794, $25 from amazon), which I believe should solve the issue. If you're not able to start the engine, that would lead me more towards the camshaft position sensor/distributor assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I'd be inclined to suspect the camshaft position sensor too, based on your description. If it hasn't thrown a code then a shot at a 'no cost' test might be to tap gently on the top of the sensor with the handle of a screwdriver whilst someone cranks the engine. If the motor fires or tries to start then you're likely on the right track.
'D'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts