Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. About a week ago my cr-v suddenly died while my wife was driving routinely around town. She called me, I went, the engine started immediately when I arrived. Mama was pissed. Two days later, same thing. it restarted again like last time, but died about five minutes later. After waiting for a couple of minutes, it started again and got us almost home (7 miles) and died again. Today, same thing. It restarted again, but after a much longer pause, and died a couple of minutes later. It seems to go about exactly 8 miles or so from cold start before it dies first time. And the needed pause gets longer and longer thereafter.
It runs like a swiss watch, smooth and quiet, and there is absolutely no warning when it dies. It does not enter a trouble code of any sort.
I have just ordered an ignition coil because i can't think of anything else that would cause it. The vehicle is always well maintained and has no history of breakdown. Does anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
When was the last time you had a tune up? Like plugs, wires ,cap & rotor? I would also suggest to check the igniter or even replace it. How is the idle? Does it idle right? It could be a dirty IAC. Do not install any part yet until you have cleaned the IAC. Let me know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. My first reply disappeared just now.
I didn't know there is an icm; I'll clean it and probably replace it. The engine was carefully tuned 7000 miles ago when I replaced the timing belt and adjusted the valves. I post again after the icm operation.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I would suspect either the ignition switch or the fuel relay.
Do some research on both items.
Many times a failing ignition coil causes hard starting and a failing ICM can cause a no spark condition after it gets hot.
You should probably be posting in the Problems and Issues forum.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
772 Posts
This one will be hard to pin down. Cannot rule out fuel, even though it shows symtoms of electrical overheating somewhere. My 97 did a similar act with me about a month ago. No previous trouble, in excellent maintained condition, started it one morning just fine, ran for maybe one minute and then shut off and would not restart. I called my tow truck and sent it to my mechanic. Two hours later he called and said it needed a new distributor. His reasoning was it could need cap/rotor/coil which can be bought indididually, and the igniter(which is only available as a distributor assy. I made the call, since my V has 216k miles and climing, put in the new distributor, picked it up by 5:00 pm same day. It now runs better than ever.
This is not to say this would fix yours, but a lot of different possibilities have been mention already. If it's not the ICM or fuel related somehow, and you put all new parts in distributor and find out the igniter is bad, now you need a distributor. Time is money, and there's no price on a pissed off wife, it's just not worth it. JMHO after almost 41 yrs of marriage. Good luck
David g.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Southwind- the distributor will be new after I install the coil and icm.

Buffalo- I looked at both forums and really can't figure out the difference as far as drivetrain questions are concerned.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Southwind- the distributor will be new after I install the coil and icm.

Buffalo- I looked at both forums and really can't figure out the difference as far as drivetrain questions are concerned.

I just thought that more people looked at those two forums on a regular basis.
The Under the Hood/Performance forum seems like it is used more for modifications.
Nothing wrong with posting in this one either, but you may get more looking in the other ones.
Happy to hear you got the problem fixed. :D
Buffalo4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts