Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2007 with 234,000 miles. Recently noticed a rattling under hood and was told it's coming from the engine, possibly a gear near the oil pan. Was told I'm looking at 3-4000 to replace engine, but not recommended due to high mileage. I have decided to replace the Honda, although the car is in great shape otherwise. Leather interior, navigation system, rear camera, comfortable ride. As I'm buying another car from a private party, wondering what to do with the crv? Is there an option other than the salvage yard? It still runs, but I don't know how long it will continue. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
Might be worth a second opinion on the motor noise- might be lucky and its actually something small/cheaper.

Either way 234k is not a bad run, especially with the minimal number of replacement parts you mentioned in the other post. I wish you the best of luck either direction.

We also have a 2018 CR-V 2.4L that we really enjoy. Getting 30 MPG in mixed driving right now - cant complain about that if you think you might be interested in a new CR-V

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
To answer the question if it is indeed in need of a motor I would list it for private sale - mechanic special and be upfront about whats wrong.

Sounds like much of the vehicle is in amazing shape and a mechanic could either fix the existing motor, of buy a junkyard motor for $750-900 and install it themselves to have a great running vehicle.

The labor is what kills you on something like this, someone who will do it all themselves could get past this for what would be 2 payments on a new car these days and they would find value in your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I can't think of a "gear" in the lower part of the engine. Unless it's the sprocket for the timing chain, the only things near the oil pan would be the crankshaft bearings and connecting rods to the pistons. (And if a connecting rod went bad, you would know it--the engine would run really rough, or not at all. Worst case, the broken rod could punch through the side of the engine.) The transmission is nearby also, but I can't think of a rattling noise inside of it. There are many things external that could make a rattling sound, and they would be easy, minor fixes.

I would hate to see a car "retired" due to a misdiagnosis. But as someone said, selling it as a mechanic's special is a good way to keep it alive for someone else. There are plenty of perfectly good replacement engines out there, if it turns out to be an internal problem.

But I get that any car over 200k miles can start to have other issues, so it's not exactly a bad thing to upgrade and have something reliable to drive. All of ours are over 150k miles; two of the four that are running are over 210k miles. (The oldest at 290k is just awaiting an oil pan so I can get it out of my driveway...I've owned that one since new in 1997.)

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
on my wife's 2006 ,she called me on the phone stating the engine light came on and it was noisy ,when i started it I was shocked ,it sounded like the engine was done,it had a p0341 and some other VVT code so I pulled the valve cover and the chain was loose so then I took off the little cover for the chain tensioner and the 2 bolts were loose ,so I torqued them down and hoped that it didn't jump time and it is all good now its been 2k miles ,the chain was just done 17k miles ago at a Honda dealer by Chicago according to MY carfax.com so they must have not torqued the bolts properly ,but anyway a bad tensioner can do the same thing it sounds like the engine is done for,so worth a try to check the chain tensioner

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you! I bought a Subaru but will sell the car as is. A second opinion thought the engine was going as well. Still sad as it’s a good car but nothing lasts forever!

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
Thanks to all of you! I bought a Subaru but will sell the car as is. A second opinion thought the engine was going as well. Still sad as it’s a good car but nothing lasts forever!
Sorry to hear that but I hope you will enjoy the Subaru. My aunt has a 2016 Forester, my Dad a 2019 and they really enjoy them

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
your welcome,what part of the country are you located,you may get an offer here on the CRV forum club

1 - 10 of 10 Posts