Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My 2004 Honda CR-V is exhibiting a groaning noise in the engine bay whenever the car is in gear (drive, reverse) and sotting at a stop but not when its in neutral or park. Not sure if this noise normal but if someone can confirm that be great.

Edit: The noise appears to be coming from the power steering pump /pulley area. Not sure if one or the other needs to be replaced. Also worth mentioning that the belt is unevenly worn on one side (not cracking but the other half of the belt is discolored)

Please refer to updated video below:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Is the a/c on or the defrost setting is on? Was anything done before this happened? It sounds like it could be a heatshield or an exhaust pipe hitting a bracket. Does the V drive normally? Oil level good? Let me know.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Most likely the heat shields are rubbing into another part or the exhaust is touching a bracket. Without starting the engine get underneath wobble the exhaust pipes until you can replicate the sound. Let me know. Be careful of hot parts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just checked the heat shields are they are in good order. uploaded a new video and narrowed down the noise.

Updated post 1! The noise appears to be coming from the power steering pump /pulley area. Not sure if one or the other needs to be replaced. Also worth mentioning that the belt is unevenly worn on one side (not cracking but the other half of the belt is discolored)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I would suggest to take out the belt & inspect all of the pulleys where the belt rides on. There could be a crooked pulley or anything unusual. Be sure you write down a diagram where the belt goes through. I can post a link to what are the pulleys on your V. Shake each & every pulley see for any noise or harshness & roughness. Let us know.

On the video too. If you look closely as you mentioned the Logo on the belt is partly worn. Most likely you do have a bad or loose pulley that is wobbling that is causing the erasure of the Logo & uneven wear on the belt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oki i think i got it. Its related the power steering system. Sound can be recreated in park by turning the wheel; in drive or reverse the same sound is constant regardless if the wheel is turned

Not sure if the pump is a common issue on these cars? My buddy mechanic mentioned it could be the PS pulley but how often do these go bad? They are just a cog on the pump itself and not so much a traditional pulley like the AC, alternator or water pump pulleys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts