Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 CRV

When I'm sitting at a stop the engine will hiccup when an accessory comes on. It's happened when the engine cooling fan comes on or when the A/C compressor kicks on. I have new plugs, wires and dist cap/rotor installed. Also, I do have the P0420 cat code. This wouldn't be related would it? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,887 Posts
I'd start by cleaning the throttle body. If the issue continues, the IAC (Idle Air Control) might need cleaning. Do a SEARCH here, or look at the Similar Threads section at the bottom of the page.

+++++++

On a Gen 1 a P0420 can indicate a clogged cat-converter. That COULD be a factor. There are various ways of testing the flow, again a SEARCH will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try cleaning the IAC first. Thanks! I've read in a couple places that the distributor could be at fault or on it's way out. Also that they are notorious for crapping out. Think this might be it by chance?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Make sure your battery cable connections are clean and snug. Many bad things happen to Honda's if the voltage gets low.
Check terminals and the main grounding connections. Free and pretty easy to do. Please post back when/if you find the solution. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Igniter in the distributor, not the ignition coil.
If it hiccups when radiator fan comes ON, etc, it usually means low voltage due to the accessory causing more current being used by it. Check your bat connections (clean and very snug) and your main grounds, one from the Neg bat cable to the frame the radiator is mounted to and the other is from that same frame (only closer to the radiator) to the engine block, if I recall correctly.
Check your battery voltage and also the water (electrolyte) level in the battery. If any cells are exposed to the air, the battery will fail in a short time. Use only distilled water.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, since this wasn't my car I got some info wrong. Turns out the plug wires were not new and they just needed to be replaced. Simple fix.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Well, since this wasn't my car I got some info wrong. Turns out the plug wires were not new and they just needed to be replaced. Simple fix.
Thanks for posting back with that info.
"I have new plugs, wires and dist cap/rotor installed" did throw me off track. Happy to hear it is fixed.
Many times bad spark plug wires can be diagnosed by misting water over them in a dark place with the engine running. Free and easy to do.
If that crv experiences hard starting in the near future, a failing ignition coil would be suspect.
Happy it is fixed. :D
Buffalo4
PS: Good link for early Hondas with distributors: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts