Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,184 Posts
In North America, the Engine Maintenance tell-tale blinks at 6K miles, and comes on steady at 10K miles. It is only a mileage indicator, it doesn't 'sense' driving conditions as the newer Maintenance Minder does.

The CEL (Check Engine Light) is something different. That comes on if your OBDII emissions system notices a problem. If that is the indicator you are reporting, you need to find out the fault code with a code reader.

In the USA, many auto parts stores will read it for you, for free. (But the other day, I noticed a sign in our autoparts window "We will not be reading OBDII Codes as a result of the CoronaVirus situation."):eek:

·
Registered
590 Posts
In North America, the Engine Maintenance tell-tale blinks at 6K miles, and comes on steady at 10K miles. It is only a mileage indicator, it doesn't 'sense' driving conditions as the newer Maintenance Minder does.

The CEL (Check Engine Light) is something different. That comes on if your OBDII emissions system notices a problem. If that is the indicator you are reporting, you need to find out the fault code with a code reader.

In the USA, many auto parts stores will read it for you, for free. (But the other day, I noticed a sign in our autoparts window "We will not be reading OBDII Codes as a result of the CoronaVirus situation."):eek:
ah yes, my bad. I had made the assumption that you had the check engine light on, as you complained about an engine performance issue.

Carbuff is right, there are 2 different lights. One for car maintenance (yellow color with the letters “MAINT REQ’D”) and one for check engine (which is a yellow graphic shaped like an engine).

The MAINT REQ’D is a reminder to do scheduled maintenance like oil changes etc. The yellow graphic that is shaped like an engine says there is likely an engine/emissions problem and is what you would need an obd2 scanner for.

Of course, I think both carbuff and I are both located in the USA, so There could be some differences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts