Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Engine noise 2007 mk3 2.2 icdti

396 12
Hi, any ideas what this noise could be? It sounds like it's low down in the engine and behind the drivers wheel. A garage very recently changed the timing chain (apparently) which cost a lot of money, but the noise is happening again. It comes on randomly and only for a minute or two and then goes again. It's a 2.2 icdti. 185,000 miles. Thank you Honda crv 2.2 icdti 2007 engine noise
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, any ideas what this noise could be? It sounds like it's low down in the engine and behind the drivers wheel. A garage very recently changed the timing chain (apparently) which cost a lot of money, but the noise is happening again. It comes on randomly and only for a minute or two and then goes again. It's a 2.2 icdti. 185,000 miles. Thank you.
Why was the chain replaced??
They told me it was the chain making the noise and replaced it, but the noise has come back

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,840 Posts
They told me it was the chain making the noise and replaced it, but the noise has come back
????

Cleary this garage knows nothing about cars, much less Honda diesels. The timing chain never needs replacing. They could have damaged the engine with their cavalier approach here - I wouldnt ever be using cowboys like that again thats for sure.

Timing chains mostly do three things - nothing/stretch/snap. The latter two are induced by bad driving/maintenance or very rarely via a manufacturing defect. I'd go and get my money back first if I were you because their diagnosis of the chain being at fault and the noise still there proves they did NOT fix the problem.

Hate outlets like this :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
????

Cleary this garage knows nothing about cars, much less Honda diesels. The timing chain never needs replacing. They could have damaged the engine with their cavalier approach here - I wouldnt ever be using cowboys like that again thats for sure.

Timing chains mostly do three things - nothing/stretch/snap. The latter two are induced by bad driving/maintenance or very rarely via a manufacturing defect. I'd go and get my money back first if I were you because their diagnosis of the chain being at fault and the noise still there proves they did NOT fix the problem.

Hate outlets like this :mad::mad::mad:
Ok thank you I’ll try and get my money back. Don’t know what to do it they refuse though. Garages must see me coming 🤬

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hello,

The mileage you have indicated (185k) is spot on for replacing the timing chain due to stretch.

A little bit of history – on the older 2.2 i-ctdi engines the oil pump chain is the one that most commonly snaps due to it being a single link chain and we have seen this event many times. The main timing chain is a duplex twin link chain, and all be it that they stretch I have never seen one snap yet.

Regarding your engine noise could you obtain a better soundtrack and perhaps a little longer, because I cannot hear any undue noise on your current video.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

The mileage you have indicated (185k) is spot on for replacing the timing chain due to stretch.

A little bit of history – on the older 2.2 i-ctdi engines the oil pump chain is the one that most commonly snaps due to it being a single link chain and we have seen this event many times. The main timing chain is a duplex twin link chain, and all be it that they stretch I have never seen one snap yet.

Regarding your engine noise could you obtain a better soundtrack and perhaps a little longer, because I cannot hear any undue noise on your current video.
Thank you, they said they replaced the oil pump chain aswell. Next time it does it I’ll try and video it again. It doesn’t happen often but is quite loud when it does. If you turn it right up can you hear it? It seems to be coming from behind the offside wheel arch quite low down. Thanks for your reply 😀

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Matt green
Okay here’s what I think – I does not sound like a timing chain.
When the recording first started it sounded like a wide rocker arm gap or even a loose injector, but as you revved the engine, I am leaning towards a cracked exhaust manifold, or even a blocked EGR valve.
So I took it to the garage and the noise stopped so they couldn’t find anything wrong! I’m completely at a loss as what to do 🙁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very strange what did the garage say!
Suggest you monitor the situation and let us know if it states again.
I will do thank you, they just said they can’t see anything wrong and can’t tell unless they hear it. Last time I took it to them it stopped when I got there aswell. I don’t have much luck with cars 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts