Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car is 2015 CR-V.
Previously I had my oil change at dealer. ( Dealer claims they use full synthetic.)
On average, every 7000 miles, the car needs one oil change. (Mostly change when 15% oil life. So, every 412 miles should drop 5%).

Three weeks ago, I did oil change on my own using Castrol 03124 EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil and Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter.
Today, my mileage is around 750 but oil life still shows 100%.

Is this normal? I started wondering if I did the change correctly.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Don’t sweat it. The MM doesn’t decrease % on a linear schedule.

Give it a month, then post back and tell us what it says THEN.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, to be honest, I don't trust the dealership anymore. They missed a bad serpentine belt during inspection (don't think they even looked). I had 118k on the clock (...supposed to change them out around 100k), so I had my new shop change it... they said it really needed changed. They also told me they put in synthetic, but it's always the same price as the regular oil change... they say on the paper (synthetic extra). Now, I go to a good automotive shop with ASE certified master technicians that can do genuine Honda service (fluid flushes with Honda fluids etc) and use OE spec parts. They've always been fair and have a more comprehensive multi-point inspection included in their oil change/tire rotation than the dealership.

They have a good deal on a Valvoline synthetic oil change that uses a mix of the regular synthetic and the high mileage MaxLife and an OEM spec filter. Also, don't buy into the 'hyped' oil filters... most of these (like the WIX XP) are not worth the price. Furthermore, the WIX XP is only 50% efficient at 20 microns -- this is below Ford's minimum (not sure if Honda has a minimum) specification of 80% at 20 microns, so stick with the WIX (NAPA Gold). To put it into perspective, the Ford Police Interceptor SUV is used in some of the most severe driving conditions (extensive idling, high speed pursuits...) and Ford recommends the standard Motorcraft FL500S oil filter (which is a premium filter like the WIX) -- but not some 'hyped filter' for their 5000 mile oil service. NAPA recommends the Gold (WIX) 57502 for the Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) at 5000 mile service intervals. Just make sure you use an OEM type filter rated for your oil change interval, and be good to go :) Also, I'd go somewhere you're happy with and skip the dealership -- unless you have a good relationship with them :)

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
My car is 2015 CR-V.
Previously I had my oil change at dealer. ( Dealer claims they use full synthetic.)
On average, every 7000 miles, the car needs one oil change. (Mostly change when 15% oil life. So, every 412 miles should drop 5%).

Three weeks ago, I did oil change on my own using Castrol 03124 EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil and Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter.
Today, my mileage is around 750 but oil life still shows 100%.

Is this normal? I started wondering if I did the change correctly.
1) The vehicle has absolutely no idea what oil you put in it. :)

2) There are a number of factors calculated as part of the MM algorithm beyond just linear miles driven ... so don't sweat the miles.. just listen to the MM when it pops at 15%.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Light will illuminate at 15%. Change it when it gets to 0. No need to worry about oil these days. The expensive full synthetic we use is great stuff. Search out folks who have sent their oil in for analysis. Don't get caught up in all the misinformation out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts