Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a CRV 2010 2.4L with 95K miles, I want to change engine oil, and the Honda recommendation is to use 0W20 OIL as printed on the CAP on top of engine, but the local dealer is saying that I have to use a thicker oil that is either 5W30 or 10W40.
I am trying to know if this affects engine performance,mpg and life and if this is really better for the engine age or not.
Regards

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You don't appear to be in a super hot climate, so I would ask your dealer why they are recommending the heavier oil. Maybe it's because they don't stock it???

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Is the engine using a lot of oil? If so, a little heavier oil could possibly reduce that loss.
Usually the mfg recommends a lower viscosity oil due to a small increase in mpg.
A 0w20-30 type oil allows oil to circulate quicker in cold weather during startup, etc than a 5w or 10w oil.
That 0w can cut down on engine wear during a cold start. I sure would not agree with the 10w40 weight, but a 5w20 or a 5w30 may work just fine for you, esp if the outside temp is usually very warm or hot. Most likely that heavier wt oil in not synthetic either.
As Mike728 stated, maybe they don't stock the 0w20 wt oil or it may be way to expensive for them.
What wt oil was put in the last time the oil was changed?
Why not just change it yourself as it is pretty easy to do yourself. Do a youtube search.
I have no idea on the rules and regulations in Lebanon.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Thanks for that interesting link, bearcrkrd !!
Unless Ftkhatib is losing/using oil, that 0w20 should be fine, but so would 5w20 but I see no reason to go to a 30 (5w30) or a 40 (10w40) for engine protection. Could be other reasons.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't appear to be in a super hot climate, so I would ask your dealer why they are recommending the heavier oil. Maybe it's because they don't stock it???
No Sir
its moderate climate but maybe as you said they dont stock it.
but does switching to other oil weight could harm engine?

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the engine using a lot of oil? If so, a little heavier oil could possibly reduce that loss.
Usually the mfg recommends a lower viscosity oil due to a small increase in mpg.
A 0w20-30 type oil allows oil to circulate quicker in cold weather during startup, etc than a 5w or 10w oil.
That 0w can cut down on engine wear during a cold start. I sure would not agree with the 10w40 weight, but a 5w20 or a 5w30 may work just fine for you, esp if the outside temp is usually very warm or hot. Most likely that heavier wt oil in not synthetic either.
As Mike728 stated, maybe they don't stock the 0w20 wt oil or it may be way to expensive for them.
Why not just change it yourself as it is pretty easy to do yourself. Do a youtube search.
Buffalo4
You are right
but I cant find this oil weight at all.
Thank you for information.
So I will try to find same oil weight.

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buffalo4
sorry
I forgot to say that my car does not lose oil at all.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
415 Posts
I say the dealer is just trying to sell you what they have, cheaper oil. 0w20 is a full synthetic, 5w20, 5w 30, 10w40 are generally dyno oil. 0w20 full synthetic is what Honda recommends, stick with that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
5W-30 is also widely available as fully synthetic.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Yes, most of those wt oils are available as synthetics, but, you really don't need a synthetic,but I use one. Why, because advertising says it provides better lubrication at both very cold and very hot conditions and also does a better job cleaning. Still, many have put on over 200k miles using conventional oil with no problems.
Will a 5w30 hurt your engine, I sure don't think so, You are in a pretty temperate climate.
Your CRV doesn't NEED 0w20 but it is the preferred wt.
Again, if 5w20 was available, I would use it. I would not hesitate using 5w30 either, but I would shy away from using 10w40 unless that was all I could buy.
I suppose you could do an Internet search on 10w40 and your CRV's engine. I am no expert and I am just giving info on what I believe is correct, not necessarily factual.
Buffalo4
PS: Give Honda headquarters a call.

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I say the dealer is just trying to sell you what they have, cheaper oil. 0w20 is a full synthetic, 5w20, 5w 30, 10w40 are generally dyno oil. 0w20 full synthetic is what Honda recommends, stick with that.
Yes
That is what I will do.
Thank You

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello
I have a CRV 2010 2.4L with 95K miles, I want to change engine oil, and the Honda recommendation is to use 0W20 OIL as printed on the CAP on top of engine, but the local dealer is saying that I have to use a thicker oil that is either 5W30 or 10W40.
I am trying to know if this affects engine performance,mpg and life and if this is really better for the engine age or not.
Regards
5w30 or 10w40 will work fine with an imperceptible decrease in fuel economy. Are you using oil or do you live in Arizona where the temps are insane? I use Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 in all my Hondas here in California. The only reason for 5w20 or 0w20 is cafe standards which in real life you and I will never benefit from just the manufacturers will.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello
Regards
I have used 0-20 synthetic since new on my 2014 LX all-wheel drive... and at 274000 Miles and Counting I would not use a thicker oil.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts