Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
I have a CRV 2010 2.4L with 95K miles, I want to change engine oil, and the Honda recommendation is to use 0W20 OIL as printed on the CAP on top of engine, but the local dealer is saying that I have to use a thicker oil that is either 5W30 or 10W40.
I am trying to know if this affects engine performance,mpg and life and if this is really better for the engine age or not.
Regards
Hello
I have a CRV 2010 2.4L with 95K miles, I want to change engine oil, and the Honda recommendation is to use 0W20 OIL as printed on the CAP on top of engine, but the local dealer is saying that I have to use a thicker oil that is either 5W30 or 10W40.
I am trying to know if this affects engine performance,mpg and life and if this is really better for the engine age or not.
Regards

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
As a former Honda service advisor and tech. I recommend staying with what Honda recommends. Any dealer that would tell you otherwise is NOT doing you any favors. They are NOT engineers and for them to recommend 10w-40 is astonishing!! That viscosity hasn't been recommended since 1989!! and could do serious damage to the camshafts and valve mechanisms!! So be safe and stick with 0w-20....
You are Right
They are saying that, as the engine age increases,it needs a new viscosity to help flush engine parts.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Heh. Nope.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
5w30 or 10w40 will work fine with an imperceptible decrease in fuel economy. Are you using oil or do you live in Arizona where the temps are insane? I use Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 in all my Hondas here in California. The only reason for 5w20 or 0w20 is cafe standards which in real life you and I will never benefit from just the manufacturers will.
It is said that most engine wear occurs in the first minute or so upon cold startup. Ow --oils get the lubrication going much quicker upon initial startup. The colder the engine, the more beneficial the Ow-- is.
Still, many have gotten over 200k miles on their Hondas using 10w30 conventional oils, but probably not those that park their vehicles outside in the Arctic. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello
Regards
I have the same CRV. I went to my mechanic complaining of excess oil usage. He had heard about a recall of sorts. The problem is that the engine was subject to excess oil consumption. He found the article (I'll include it at the end) and I read it through. I then took the car to the local Honda dealer and asked them to perform an oil consumption test. The result of the test was that my car was going through a quart of oil every 1000 miles. That's practically a whole oil change between oil changes. The dealer told me that was typical. My (rather heated) response was that it's ridiculous to have a car use that much oil. I stormed out, having no recourse since they denied the problem. A few days later, my wife got a phone call from the dealer stating that they would rebuild the engine. (I guess the complaining did some good.) They replaced the pistons and rings. Now the car is fine.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/honda-accord-cr-v-warranties-extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm

·
Registered
906 Posts
They obviously thought that you were storming out to see your lawyer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It depends on the region you are currently in. 0w20 is a very thin grade of motor oil specifically for cold regions (e.g. North America,Canada, UK & some parts of South America & cold regions. If you live anywhere close to the equator where the climate is naturally hot or rainy in other seasons it’s safer to use 5w30 but I prefer 10w30. Reason being also that
•0 represents the starting temperature when your engine is cold
•w represents weather range
•20 is the operating temperature
Never use a w40 range oil because that’s very harmful on Honda engines
What does 5w30 mean in motor oil?
In a 5W-30 for example, the number before the W describes the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the better the oil's cold temperature/ cold start performance. The number after the W describes how thick the oil is at the engine's normal operating temperature.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts