Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running into some inconsistent and varied issues lately with my Manual 1999 CR-V.

Issue began about a month ago as sputtering under load only, very rare, but it would happen when going up a hill around 2500rpm or lower. I can avoid this by letting off the gas and accelerating very slowly. If i push the pedal down too hard, the sputtering will start up again and I'll get stuck at whatever RPM's I'm currently at. This issue only occurs at lower RPM ranges (I'd say <2500rpm)

In the last two weeks, the issue has increased in frequency and symptoms. Cold starts seem to be no problem, but hot starts can range from being a little rough, to a no start condition for an hour or so.

Engine also has a hard time idling while experiencing whatever this issue is. It will idle ~500rpm, and dip down to almost zero, before revving itself back up to 1200, then settling back to 500, and repeat.

So far I've put in a new fuel filter (needed to be done anyways), checked sparks, new MAP sensor (getting ODB code P1080. Replacing the sensor had no effect on the engine performance issues or the check engine light), checked for vacuum leaks, and checked fuel pump fuses.

Other things that have been noticed, when I unplug the MAP sensor, engine will stall out. When unplugging the TPS sensor, idle will become stronger and hit 1200 rpm consistently (haven't driven without it on, to reproduce the issue). Starting the car without the MAP sensor plugged in will almost always cause the issue to present itself, however, when plugging the sensor back in while idling, no change occurs. If I then cut the engine and start it back up, I usually won't have an idling issue.

Other potential culprits:

- Main fuel relay (might not cause the intermittent sputtering under load?)
- Ignition Control Module
- ECU

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Most likely cause is the ICU or Igniter. Or you might have a bad Distributor Assembly. Was anything done before this happened? When in Neutral does the engine rev normally? Or does it rev normally but it takes time to rev past 4500? Let me know. When was the last time you had a tune up? Was the Ignition Rotor replaced Lately? What is the condition of the spark plugs?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The last car I had with a problem similar to this turned out to be a failing ignition coil. It searched for the problem for a while before I took it in for an analysis. The analysis cost more than the coil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing was done before this happened, just started one day and got worse over time. When in neutral it rev's up great, even in gear at higher RPM's its fine.

Got the car ~6mo ago, haven't had a tune up done in that time, but have done some work myself (oil, tires etc...). Sparks had no corrosion or any oil/soot on them, looked pretty good. Ignition rotor hasn't been replaced recently that I know of.

Going to take a look at the distributor cap and rotor, and test the ignition coils. Will update when done.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
Do everything a step at a time.
Additional checks battery condition alternator output and fuel line pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, put all those things on the list to check. Got around to checking the distributor cap/rotor.

Popped the cap off and theres corrosion on the terminals inside the cap, and on further inspection theres extensive corrosion all throughout the distributor components that are underneath the leak cover. There's also evidence of arcing from the ignition coil.

Will check it out throughly, including ignition coil, and update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts