Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CR-V
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the last few cooler months, I notice my engine making different noises. On initial startup, when the engine idles the highest, it's quiet. After 20-30 seconds, the idle drops a little and a rattle comes from the engine. Not terrible loud, just noticeable. When it warms up a little more and the idle drops again, the rattle changes again. After getting to normal operating temperature, the rattle seems to be gone. You can't really hear the rattle outside the vehicle. I have 105,000 miles and am wondering if it's time to have the valves checked/adjusted?

Oh, it's had new spark plugs and pcv valve within the last 12 months, and I change the oil every 6 months / about 3-4k miles (usually PUP 5w-20)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, have the valve lash checked. Also, could be a bad catalytic converter. I had one go bad once and it made a rattling sound.

Also, have you noticed any drop in MPG? That's a sign valves might need adjustment.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, have the valve lash checked. Also, could be a bad catalytic converter. I had one go bad once and it made a rattling sound.

Also, have you noticed any drop in MPG? That's a sign valves might need adjustment.
Well, the rattle is definitely coming from the engine and not the cat. I’ve never gotten good gas mileage. Current I average 19-20 but that is 100% in town, short trips. If I drive on the interstate for a long trip I can get over 30 easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Does the rattle come with any vibration? I would prop the hood open, start the car cold, and listen up by the engine, to see if you can better tell where the rattle is located when it happens. That might give you more clues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts