Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2017 EX-L in October 17, and shipped it overseas. Since April, when I gun the engine, there is a loud rattling sound that comes from the engine bay area. Almost like metal pipes clanking but not quite. Since I live in Africa, there is no Honda dealer here. Has anyone had a similar problem? My mechanic here couldn't find anything. I checked the recall site and don't have anything listed.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Sounds like you need a good local expert mechanic. Have him put the car up on a lift and carefully look for (and listen, with an automotive stethoscope), the source, prodding and poking and searching for something loose, with the car not running. Engine, suspension, underside covers, etc. My '07 has plastic under-engine covers, but I think yours has metal ones. One loose or missing screw could cause the problem. Loose bolts, steering components, anywhere a chain or hook could have been attached, too, as mentioned above. Then start and gun the engine and listen underneath to see if you or he can tell where it's coming from. Then do the same thing on the ground with the hood open, from the top. If it is not an external thing then it's an internal thing, like an alternator bearing, idler pulley, broken motor mount, bad water pump, power steering or linkage, suspension, etc. To test steering and suspension components requires knowing how to unload the tension from each part and then check for slack. But, if it's happening when the engine is gunned and the car is sitting still it is not likely steering or suspension related. My top suspects would be those bottom covers, motor/transmission mounts, or tie-down damage, which could, in an extreme case, even include an exhaust leak or damaged heat shield on the catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, or even a loose or broken off sensor creating an exhaust leak, or something on the transmission. A loose spark plug - but the engine would run rough then. Obviously it is something, so some finely tuned detective work should find it. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
Welcome. Quick question for you.
Did you buy it in the US where we have the 5th generation CRV or Europe where they still had the 4th generation in 2017. In fact they are only now getting the 5th generation.

It does sound like something was damaged in shipment, or got loose. Noises like this are difficult to diagnose over the internet. Getting it on a lift (wheels free) will help you track down whatever is loose.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,202 Posts
Are we sure this isn't "pinging" or "pre-ignition" often caused by using fuel that is lower in octane than is required by the engine? Just a thought.

Reactions: Retired Boomer

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2017 EX-L in October 17, and shipped it overseas. Since April, when I gun the engine, there is a loud rattling sound that comes from the engine bay area. Almost like metal pipes clanking but not quite. Since I live in Africa, there is no Honda dealer here. Has anyone had a similar problem? My mechanic here couldn't find anything. I checked the recall site and don't have anything listed.
I have the same problem. I also bought my brand new 2018 Honda CR-V in December 2017 from the USA, shipped it down to Africa, and after my first 1000km, till date I still hear the sudden one-time rattling noise during that moment when I do a quick acceleration from a low speed. Took it to a so called Honda dealership in my country and they couldn’t figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Yup, this does sound like it could easily be due to poor quality fuel. You could try running a tank of premium through it and see if that makes a difference, or one of those bottles of fuel additive octane boosters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts