Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm off to a start on this crazy project. I'm going to rebuild a jdm b20b so I can drive my car while I rebuild the original b20z. I only have 1 car so I can't have any down time. I got an evergreen master rebuild kit from Amazon. So far I'm impressed. Bearing are 1 size and I plastigauged them to check. They were all right on the money. Dead middle of the specs. Thats the main bearings so hopefully the rod bearing are good also. The kit comes with a head gasket but idk if I want to use it. I'm thinking ill go factory because if my b20z is to far gone this engine is staying in. When I cleaned the pistons i even dug out the oil holes in the oil ring groove (see pics) ill update as I go and let everyone know how this rebuild kit stacks up. Let me know if you have any experience with this kit and your thoughts on it.

Opinions on paint colors? I'm thinking something netural for possible reselling value when I'm done. Send pics if you have any of the engine painted. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
888 Posts
It's really cool to be able to watch you go. I love to see stuff pulled apart, but I'm not about to take my engine apart just to look at it. I'm also excited to see everything involved with building an engine up yourself!

For paint color, go with silver maybe? I didn't think aluminum engines typically got painted from the factory. In alternative, my previous Toyota had a CI block that was painted black.

When you do your original engine, it'd be pretty sick to paint it to match your body. Green block and head with gray head cover! Maybe do chrome or gold lettering too if there's a way to do it that'll take the heat.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
888 Posts
Pulled this off the web way back when I was researching/shoppingfor my car because I like pictures...

1546_10_DSC_8298.jpg

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn those pics turned out shitty using small. Ill use medium. Yeah I was thinking green also for the original engine. Gray valve cover would be cool.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm curious about a couple of things, since you have it pulled apart.

1, is it possible to machine-balance the pistons so they're all the exact same weight to make the engine run smoother?

2, is there a longer dipstick & dipstick tube kit so you don't have to peer through the tiny hole in the exhaust manifold cover to put it back?

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dip stick is pressed in so you would have to do some custom work to do that. I don't think anyone makes an extension or longer one for that. I hate that also!

I'm not sure about the pistons. I don't see why not but that would be a question more for a machine shop. The b20z will be going to a machine shop for cleaning and inspection. I'll probably have them do a the head work also. So when that happens I will ask them if that's something that can be done. Ill post back when I know.

·
Registered
00&01 CRV
176 Posts
Hmmm, Swain coating for the pistons, all matching weight.. I digress. Definitely green for the real motor. Have you seen the colored carbon fiber look for the rocker cover? I saw a red and blue one, green would look good too. King bearings, nice choice.

Reactions: Lochinvar

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went with "New Ford Grey" and I'm not really happy with it. It's darker than what I was expecting. Gonna check the paint store out again on my way home.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mocked up. I ordered a oem head gasket. So I just threw the head on to take a look, im eager! Not using the current pan. Its beat up. New one on order. Also @ImBroke (thank you) sent me the usa oil pump so I don't have to mess with the crank sensor trick.

Well I'm at my image upload max for the month. Guess I'll finish up and post more when I can. Sorry not paying for vip.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Looks cool to me, but I like looking at engines in any color. If you went ahead and painted the head to match, it would look pretty rad.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Painting a head is a pain in the ass. So much prep work. I know it would look better but i idk. I have free time so I may. Ordered some wrinkle paint for the valve cover. Curious to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I did it. Lol went with cast aluminum for the head color because my valve cover is getting gray wrinkle paint this week.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cams went in today. Ordered some timing stuff. Was going to wrinkle paint my valve cover but the can of paint has gone bad so I had to order another can.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've read about molly-fortified assembly lubes and oil additaves containing zinc and phosphorus being good for breaking in new cams so they don't break. Do you know anything about that, or plan to use any?

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes on customer cars in use this stuff. It's a molly white graphite lube. I was told it was good for break in at well as 1st starts.

When its my stuff I use amsoil assembly lube. Its expensive af! It was like 100 for a tube. Shhh don't tell my ex wife!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very cool! I don’t care what color you paint the engine TGC, it will look great! I really admire guys like you that can rebuild these engines especially with all modern details added to these engines nowadays. Keep us posted with your outcome!

I’ve only rebuilt one engine in my lifetime. I had a 1962 Volvo PV544 Sport many years ago that I rebuilt the engine WITH the help of a mechanic friend of mine. Of course engines back then were simple and the hardest part was tuning those multiple carbs but when we were finally finished, it ran like a top and I was so proud of myself even with my mechanic friends help.

I’m so glad that both my wife and my ‘98 CR-V’s run excellent with over 200K on them but I would never attempt to rebuild their engines if they went south. Kudos to you my friend!

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @Gene i appreciate that. To me its fun and kinda therapeutic I actually enjoy it. I will definitely keep you posted. Everyone in my shop thinks I'm crazy because this one is actually my temporary engine while I do this all again with my original . I say do it right or don't bother. Whether i keep it or sell it when everything is done it should be a solid engine down the road.

Tuning carbs like you did.... awwww hell no!! Lol now that's a pain in the azz!! I don't even like tuning my lawnmower carb. Lol but multiple... I give you big props for that bro!!

I'm really excited to try this wrinkle paint out. The stuff I have seen online looks amazing. Hopefully I'll be able to post that all tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
00&01 CRV
176 Posts
My VHT wrinkle never really did. I didn't think to see if it was an old can. I just bought it.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My VHT wrinkle never really did. I didn't think to see if it was an old can. I just bought it.
Did you use a heat gun?? Everyone I have talked to or seen on YouTube said a head gun is the only way to do it.

One guy in my shop used his oven for 5 hrs and it barely wrinkled. He took it out and immediately hit it with a heat gun and it came out beautifully.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts