Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster.

Back in 2016 the timing belt snapped on my CR-V at around 160k miles after having owned it for a mere 6 months. The mechanic was able to salvage the engine and $2k later it was fixed. Haven't had any issues with it up until last week when it started mis-firing. Took it to a different mechanic this time and they replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, plugs, and pcb valve. They also checked the timing on the engine and valves, and everything was working perfectly. It was running and driving great up until my wife took it on the highway last Saturday. After a few minutes at 70 MPH, the check engine light came on. A few minutes later it began to shake violently like it was misfiring again. She also was unable to accelerate past 50 MPH due to the violence of the shaking (which didn't happen the first time). After limping it back to the mechanic on Sunday, it sat in their parking lot until Monday morning. The mechanic started it, let it warm up, and drove it around for a full hour without issues. He also took another look at the components they installed, tested wires, distributor, etc. and could not replicate the issue. The mechanic was stumped, and I was too.

I drove it to work today with no issues. My commute is a good 35 miles of freeway driving, so it had plenty of time to act up. I did notice that when accelerating at a gradual pace in third gear between 25 mph and 35 mph, it felt like it started to run kinda rough. But if I accelerated hard through that same range the issue went away. After I got to work I parked it and rev'd the engine up to 5k RPM and held it there for a few seconds with no issues. In fact I think it's running better than it ever has.

What I don't get is that the symptoms my wife experienced were synonymous with a misfire, but both myself and the mechanic couldn't get it to misfire. At this point I'm thinking maybe it's an engine mount or transmission issue? Any ideas what this could be or where to look next?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So last night I drove the V home in pretty heavy stop and go traffic, and the cyclical thumping on the front left under my feet came back again. It was not consistent with the engine RPM's, but rather with the overall speed of the vehicle. This leads me to believe it's an issue with suspension or drive line components and not a misfire. Additionally, I would start to feel it around 10-15 mph. It would get really bad around 35-45 MPH, then it would get less pronounced at 45 MPH. From 60-70 MPH it would come back, but more as an annoying vibration. About 90% of the time it would be cyclical, but occasionally it would be random.

After I got gas, I turned the car back on and the issue went away. I only had it off for about 5 minutes, but I guess that's long enough for something to reset? The strange thing is that it only happens in the evening after a lot of stop and go traffic. I've already spent almost $700 on the misfire repairs (which was a part of the issue), and I really don't want to spend more on "diagnostic fees" at a mechanic to find the issue. My best guess is drive shaft, based on what I've read so far, but any help is appreciated!

Also my V is a 2000 SE AWD with 210k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone who has been following this, the issue was the front left axle. I went to a FANTASTIC retired Honda mechanic in Columbia, TN who diagnosed it immediately. Even better, he basically just charged me for his labor. Now I've just got to get some new rims... Definitely a little bent up with all these potholed Tennessee roads.

·
2,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Ouch! Glad you got it resolved. I'd go ahead and get the other side axle checked out when you can. Otherwise it sounds like you're good to go. Got any pictures? We love pictures!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts