Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months now, my CR-V seems to be having poor acceleration. At first I didn't know what to make of it but now I'm starting to think that something is malfunctioning or faulty. I'm not a mechanic so I can only speculate about what might be going on. I'll do my best to explain what I'm experiencing. If I press on the accelerator X percent, rather than opening up the throttle and holding the corresponding amount, my car seems to hesitate, the engine starts to crank up, but rather than holding the throttle open, the engine seems to crank back down. So what happens is to maintain continuous acceleration I have to keep pressing the pedal further and further down because each time I get brief acceleration and then it fizzles. This is under light to moderate throttle. Under heavier throttle what will happen is it will hesitate, crank up partially, hesitate again, then crank up more before finally settling. Now here's the kicker... If I apply the TPS reset procedure (pressing the accelerator several times in ACC mode), the problem will resolve temporarily (i.e. for a day or two before starting up again). Has anyone else ever experienced such a problem with the CR-V or really any other vehicle? If so, how did you fix it? Note, I have no check engine light, so I'm assuming that if I take it to the dealer and report it, they'll say there's nothing wrong or they can't replicate the problem.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Its a constant problem, take it to the dealer. If you have to make a tech ride with you.

One other question is has it been like this since new? Is this your first vehicle with a CVT transmission?

I ask because CVTs do somewhat feel like this and resetting the system does just that, things will go back until computer re-re-learns values and settles back in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You have a warranty....go use it. If they say nothing is wrong then ask to ride in a similar model to compare. Likely you have some simple problem they can fix. When you take it in make sure they fully understand what you are experiencing and that they word it properly on a repair order. Save your copy of the RO for future reference.

Do you have the "Econ" system turned on? If you do, turn it off.

Do you brake with your left foot or your right? Use your right foot...if you use your left foot and are touching the brake (by accident or not even noticing) that will sort of make the engine feel like its being "killed". Mr. Computer says if you are touching the brake he doesn't need to open the throttle. Make sure nothing it hitting the brake pedal. I have seen people touch it without realizing they were doing it.

Try driving in "S" rather than "D" just to see what happens.

These are just things to try to see how the car reacts. Also they will give you more information ot share with the dealer so they know you have at least tired them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
BirchB I have not experienced anything like that. I would do as the other suggested and take it back to the dealer. It could be something as simple as a faulty sensor or intermittent wiring connection.

Rob

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have the same issue. I accelerate and the engine lags with ECON on. Turn Econ off, more power to move.
LOL the first time I turned on ECON I thought I was having engine problems also. Then I realized that it was the way it's supposed to work. No amount of reading can prepare you for the lack luster acceleration of Econ. Especially if you have been playing around in sports mode before you try ECON.

Rob

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Maybe I could have worded things a little differently. Basically what happens is this. Under light to moderate throttle, the car hesitates, the RPMs climb for a second then cut off, so I have to keep pushing the accelerator down further and further to keep the throttle open. As you can imagine, this makes accelerating smoothly very difficult. Under moderate to heavy throttle, the car hesitates, the RPMs climb, the car hesitates again, then the RPMs climb again before holding open. As I said before, resetting the TPS temporarily alleviates the problem.

Its a constant problem, take it to the dealer. If you have to make a tech ride with you.

One other question is has it been like this since new? Is this your first vehicle with a CVT transmission?

I ask because CVTs do somewhat feel like this and resetting the system does just that, things will go back until computer re-re-learns values and settles back in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well I also have a 2016 Civic that does not do this at all. With the Civic it's always smooth, steady acceleration.

You have a warranty....go use it. If they say nothing is wrong then ask to ride in a similar model to compare. Likely you have some simple problem they can fix. When you take it in make sure they fully understand what you are experiencing and that they word it properly on a repair order. Save your copy of the RO for future reference.

Do you have the "Econ" system turned on? If you do, turn it off.

Do you brake with your left foot or your right? Use your right foot...if you use your left foot and are touching the brake (by accident or not even noticing) that will sort of make the engine feel like its being "killed". Mr. Computer says if you are touching the brake he doesn't need to open the throttle. Make sure nothing it hitting the brake pedal. I have seen people touch it without realizing they were doing it.

Try driving in "S" rather than "D" just to see what happens.

These are just things to try to see how the car reacts. Also they will give you more information ot share with the dealer so they know you have at least tired them.

Good luck!
Good points. No I don't usually drive with ECON mode on. ECON mode does dull the throttle response, but the problem I'm experiencing seems to be the same whether it's on or off.

I don't ever use my left foot, so it can't be that. I don't usually drive in S mode, but S mode does seem to make the throttle a little more responsive for what it's worth.

If it was something in the engine it will be throwing codes. Is the check engine light on? If not, look elsewhere.
No check engine light.

When talking with the dealer, you probably don't want to use the word "stumble", as that word usually refers to things like misfires, which are very different from what you are describing.
Good point. I'll tell them the way I worded it above.

LOL the first time I turned on ECON I thought I was having engine problems also. Then I realized that it was the way it's supposed to work. No amount of reading can prepare you for the lack luster acceleration of Econ. Especially if you have been playing around in sports mode before you try ECON.

Rob
I haven't found ECON to do that much other than make the throttle less sensitive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 CR V EX it has a hesitation under light acceleration pulling off from a light. I reported it to the dealer, the technician indicated no problem found and ask if this was my first CVT. I ask if there is an update or some tuning that could be applied, the dealer indicated none was available. It is less noticeable with ECON off also in S. I suspect the CVT is changing the ratio before the 1.5 has enough torque to handle it. Is there a way to provide the feedback to Honda?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 CR V EX it has a hesitation under light acceleration pulling off from a light. I reported it to the dealer, the technician indicated no problem found and ask if this was my first CVT. I ask if there is an update or some tuning that could be applied, the dealer indicated none was available. It is less noticeable with ECON off also in S. I suspect the CVT is changing the ratio before the 1.5 has enough torque to handle it. Is there a way to provide the feedback to Honda?
In this case, it sounds more like turbo lag as the engine waits for the turbo to spool up. It will show itself as a hesitation when hitting the gas. Engine tuning can minimize it which is why it disappears when sport (S) mode is used. My 17 Civic does it, my 17 CRV does it, My RAM Cummins diesel does it, as did my old VW TDI Jetta...all of them with turbos that give/gave turbo lag.

EDIT: here is a basic explanation of turbo lag. Lots on google about it.

https://www.quora.com/What-exactly-is-turbo-lag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact problem with my 2011 CRV, there is a TSB to fix this for 2010 and 2011 CRVs, but said my VIN does not fall in it. But the problem is exactly what the TSB fixes, very pissed at Honda. Toyota for me next. Sucks, car has been good until this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cars.com has reported the same issue with the 2019 Honda CR-V 1.5, CVT. The guy was mashing the accelerator from dead stop. When I bought the vehicle new, this happened to me only one time. After breaking in the vehicle, the "lag" issue seems to have disappeared. I would gently press on the throttle at first, waiting for the turbo to spool up before accelerating. Econ mode is off unless I'm in bumper to bumper traffic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.