Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I was reversing out of my garage in Reverse gear when I engaged the Park before coming to a complete stop. Stupid yes. I know! The engine made a bad noise briefly. Now I have a problem where the engine is surging in any gear I am in.

I believe this may be related to a sensor. I do not have any engine check light on. It is a 2003 model Automatic CRV.

Can I fix this mess myself?

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Any trouble codes? (Some codes may be stored even without showing a check engine light)
One thing to try is to disconnect the battery cables and short them together with a jumper, if needed (and while NOT connected to the battery!!! :eek: ⚠ ) for a few seconds to reset the system and to DRAIN the capacitors). Put the cables back on and see if that fixes the problem. If not, try the Idle Relearn Procedure, look it up.
Buffalo4
PS: This is just a procedure not directed to what may have caused it. Hopefully others will address the problem more specifically with regards to the shift into Park while the vehicle was in motion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any trouble codes? (Some codes may be stored even without showing a check engine light)
One thing to try is to disconnect the battery cables and short them together with a jumper, if needed (and while NOT connected to the battery!!! :eek: ⚠ ) for a few seconds to reset the system and to DRAIN the capacitors). Put the cables back on and see if that fixes the problem. If not, try the Idle Relearn Procedure, look it up.
Buffalo4
PS: This is just a procedure not directed to what may have caused it. Hopefully others will address the problem more specifically with regards to the shift into Park while the vehicle was in motion.
Thank you for your help Buffalo4. I dont have jumpers but i've just looked up the idle relearn procedure.

One thing which might be of use in diagnosing the prob. The surging/fluctuating is usually between 1000-2000RPM. However when I turn the radiator on full it shoots up to 2,000RPM and stays there, and when I turn it off it repeats the 1-2K surge cycle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buffalo4

Hello again, just to let you and anyone finding this via search know the idle relearn procedure worked.

Here is a video of what I did.

Basically did what you said about disconnecting the batt, left for 20m, drain batt by leaving lights on, then rev it up to 3000 for a few mins until the fans come on, then idle for 5m.

Now I just need to fix my brake shake problem ..

Do you think it is worth replacing the Throttle Position Sensor, as my mechanic suggested? It is a cheap component but unless it's necessary I will not bother.

Thank you very much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts