Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first say hello to everyone my name is John and recently picked up a 2000 with a thrown rod.I picked up a b20b JDM engine without the crankshaft sensor I heard you can bypass this and not throw a CEL.Has anyone done this swap? The other question I have is everyone seems to think pulling the engine and trans together is easiest but I don't get it how can that be easier? The trans and transfer case is bigger than the engine!Any input would be great.Thanks John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is it so hard to just take the engine out? Is it hard to separate them?or hard to line them back up?or ????? Did you swap a domestic in yours? so no issues with sensors? I would really like to save some cash and not have to deal with error codes.nobody has any input? I here it's easy on other models but I haven't heard anybody having any luck with a CR-V.thanks John

·
Registered
302 Posts
if you buy the jdm b20 low compression, it doesnt have the knock sensor too,
but you could just remove it from the b20z(blown) that you have then install
it there..also i read once that you might have issue w/ the pulley from the jdm
ones, just use the one from the b20z....also if you have the giraffe IM you may
wanna switch it w/ the one from the b20z(chambered IM)it helps w/ your mid
power...since the engine is out, replace tbelt..water pump..seals/gasket...etc!!

as w/ the pulling or swapping of engine.. its easier to pull them all out than
retaining the tranny there, coz youll have to make a stand for it and also the
alligning part too, i think its easier to line up both tranny and engine outside
since youll have more room than inside the engine bay.... also i havent seen
anyone yet who did that! so you might as well do what most people uses when
doing a swap...

HTH
g/l

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.As for the engine removal I'm doing it V8 old school - chain, just the engine. When done I'll post how it went.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
if you buy the jdm b20 low compression, it doesnt have the knock sensor too,
but you could just remove it from the b20z(blown) that you have then install
it there..also i read once that you might have issue w/ the pulley from the jdm
ones, just use the one from the b20z....also if you have the giraffe IM you may
wanna switch it w/ the one from the b20z(chambered IM)it helps w/ your mid
power...since the engine is out, replace tbelt..water pump..seals/gasket...etc!!

as w/ the pulling or swapping of engine.. its easier to pull them all out than
retaining the tranny there, coz youll have to make a stand for it and also the
alligning part too, i think its easier to line up both tranny and engine outside
since youll have more room than inside the engine bay.... also i havent seen
anyone yet who did that! so you might as well do what most people uses when
doing a swap...

HTH
g/l
I have always pulled the tranny. I also use a lift, tranny stand, ect....I can pull a b series out in an hour (going slow). I have also never pulled an engine from the top, always the bottom, and put it back in the same way...from the bottom.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
A CR-V or something else? That does make sense there nothing in the way underneath.
crv's and civics. All honda's really. I pull the tranny because I am also doing something in there usually, but for me it's just easier. I have done it without pulling off the tranny, but it only takes a few more minutes, and when I'm doing a swap, I usually am just doing the long block, so the old tranny needs to be put on the new engine, and I just do that after the new engine is in the chassis again seperate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I pulled it today, I took everyone's advise and pulled them together but out the top and was no problem very easy. Went in just as easy.Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I pulled it today, I took everyone's advise and pulled them together but out the top and was no problem very easy. Went in just as easy.Thanks for the help.
Do you have pics or anything, to help guide a fellow out the top kind of guy? I don't have a lift to pick this CR-V up with and pull a motor out of the bottom, but I do have an engine hoist and a willingness to use it!
Got a High Compression B20B from JDM this weekend - will be putting it on the stand and checking it all out this week and weekend, hopefully next weekend I'll be able to drop this one into the CR-V, plug and play and go! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 01 crv with a bad motor and found a 98 with good motor cheap. what’s the difference between the two? looks to just be the intake. Can I just swap intakes and it work ok?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts