Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am the proud owner of a 2000 honda cr-v, and i love the car, but i would like more power. the 4 cylinder is fine, but many times i have had to put it to the floor to get good acceleration. i have heard mentions of people doing an engine swap with a 2000 honda accord 3.0 V6 engine, but usually when you upgrade engine you have to upgrade everything, transmission, differentual, brakes, etc. is it possible to swap just the engine, and if not, does anyone have any alternatives.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can't just swap the engine. The transmissions between the V6 and I4 are completely different and do not match up. You will also need different axles for this swap because the axles will be different lengths and likely have different inner CVs. You will also lose AWD. Nobody does engine swaps for CR-Vs so even if you went ahead and bought and engine and transmission, the labor to fabricate mounts, plumbing, and wiring, would be pretty high. Budgeting $8,000 for the swap wouldn't be out of the question.

Your best bet is to swap in an Integra GS-R or Type-R engine. Yes, it is smaller, but the VTEC head and higher compression will add between 70 and 50 hp depending on which engine you get. Some people will say to just swap the heads, but you won't be able to have the high redline the better engines deliver. The non-VTEC engines have weaker bottom ends and can't handle the revs of the VTEC equipped engines (without the extra revs, you don't gain as much power).

Or you could turbocharge the engine. None of those options are cheap however. Also, if you have an automatic transmission, I would say just live with the power you have now. Honda autos are notoriously weak and can't handle a lot of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, looks like i'll be keeping it like it is.. not only is it an auto, but i'm stuck making minimum so no supercharger

·
Registered
91 Posts
The old school methods of making power (new header, better intake, exhaust, new distributor, replace the cam gears and adjust the timing, etc) still work. You can add about 20-30 hp with all those mods and you can buy them one at a time to stretch the cost out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I'm new on here, I just bought my 2000 CR-V EX this week. Are 20-30hp gains realistic on an automatic 1st gen?
For now I'm just installing a no name CAI with a K&N filter.
I hate loud exhausts so I'm planning on keeping at least the factory muffler. I may or may not delete the resonator. As for the cat, eventually it may "accidentally" blow itself out ;)
After checking out the factory exhaust manifold and seeing how efficiently it was designed, it doesn't seem like a header will really be that beneficial.
What can I expect with these mods? Hopefully more than just noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts