Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange that there's no engine temperature gauge, only a warning light if the engine overheats. Seems to be an oversight. Battery gauge is where the engine temp would be. It's nice to know the level of battery charge, although that's essentially irrelevant information for operating the car. Just a pet peeve.

·
Enforcer
1,856 Posts
Could one of the UK Hybrid members/owners confirm if its the same for them too?

Would be interesting to know if they have the same set up.....

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
Interesting.

So.. out of curiosity, I looked up the new instrument display for the hybrids. Sure enough... they needed that prior temp gauge location for the drive battery meter.

Since the hybrid uses the same core physical profile for the instrument panel, and there is really no empty space on that panel left to put another gauge... so I can why see they went with an alert light instead.

Thing is.. the temperature gauge on the ICE gen5 CRVS has always been pretty hinky anyway. so it going away for now in the gen5 CRV is no big loss to be honest. It really only lets you know when your vehicle is warm, when it is not, and when it is overheating. So.. while they give us a gauge to admire, in reality it too is little more than an alert indicator. :)

Besides... as owners we are all only an OBDII device away from being able to read out engine temperature in multiple parts of the engine. Pretty easy to just install a OBDII reader that can read the advanced codes and data for Hondas and have it either display on your phone, or even the Head Unit (if you apply HondaHack to it).

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Strange that there's no engine temperature gauge, only a warning light if the engine overheats. Seems to be an oversight. Battery gauge is where the engine temp would be. It's nice to know the level of battery charge, although that's essentially irrelevant information for operating the car. Just a pet peeve.
The computer knows the engine coolant temperature in degrees. The latest version of Honda Hack allows you to display various bits of info on the dashboard, including coolant temperature, fuel economy of the current drive and other information you select.

·
Registered
302 Posts
you learn something everyday and I will check this out tomorrow
thank you

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
you learn something everyday and I will check this out tomorrow
thank you
Be aware there are pros and cons to using Honda Hack. You are rooting the head unit, and so might void the warranty for that unit. I consider it worth the risk for me, but I'd do some research and decide for yourself. I know HH is discouraged in some circles because it enables things like watching Netflix while cruising down the road, but you could do that with any phone or tablet, if you were dumb enough to want to. HH does add some safety features IMHO, like lowering the entertainment audio volume when backing, so you'll hear the cross-traffic alert, and allowing you to move navigation instructions to right in front of you, and eliminate voice instructions (at least for Waze). I like that if it's not guiding you to any particular place it shows a functional compass.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
12 Posts
The computer knows the engine coolant temperature in degrees.
There's a good reason why the car computer knows this. It's one of the variables the maintenance minder monitors to determine the coolant life remaining. The same applies for oil temperature for oil life remaining.

Reactions: williamsji
1 - 8 of 8 Posts