Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 2017 Honda CRV started a ticking noise while the engine is idling, after 5 mins of driving it. I notice it when I'm in Park, or stoped at a stop sign. It's loud enough that it has become very annoying. I've had the car since June and started to hear this earlier this month. I brought it to the dealer and they kept it for the day to evaluate the noise. They told me - the noise was normal and that it was caused due to the Purge solenoid valve. They even told me they drove another CRV in the lot to see if they could hear the same noise. I just don't understand, how I never heard this ticking up until a few weeks ago. The link below is a video of the ticking noise created by the purge solenoid valve according to the dealer. Is this normal? Does anyone else hear this while their CRV is idling?

https://youtu.be/M3YH2NrA2LQ

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have not gotten mine yet so I have no idea. The basic rule for any problem is not to just take their word for it, you should have asked them to take you to a new CR-V and listen to see if what they told you is correct.

·
Registered
198 Posts
that sounds kinda normal for a 4 cylinder engine. The more i drive this crv, the more ticks and tacks i start to hear. Samething happened when i had my civic.
At least it does not sound bad on your video.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is the EXACT noise mine makes! I just bought mine in October and I noticed it after about 500 miles of driving. It tends to be louder in colder temps. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was the pump and that it was completely normal. I’m glad I’m not nuts and it’s happening to others as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happened to my Chevy Camero (hunk of junk). was an engine lifter they said. they did something to it that helped but it would still do it sometimes. better get it checked out

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's the sound of high pressure direct fuel injectors. It is normal amongst DI engine. Coming from a 3rd gen Fit, the ticking noise in the CRV is nothing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I've posted in a few other threads, I have the same noise. It comes from somewhere under the back seat... not from the engine. I moved up from a FIT... and that engine did have a "tick" to it. This is different, this is a tapping from under the car, toward the rear. You can't hear it much from outside, and it's not from under the hood. Tacobella posted a great clip where you can definitely tell it's not in the engine. Agree Tacobella?
I continue to follow, thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have both a 2015 Fit (25,000 miles) and a 2017 CR-v (maybe 15,000 mile in the past year) and have never hear any noises that are unusual or a sign of something amiss. Either I am tuned into what is normal for the vehicles and don't think about it, or neither of my cars has this noise.

All machines make noises. Its very difficult sometimes for a person to know what is normal and what is not. Since I worked for four decades in the industry I think I must have hear every noise known to man that an automotive product can make. Maybe I filter out the sound of the injectors, the purge valve, etc. because I know what they are and how they sound. Trust me, I do in fact hear noises the average person does not because I do listen closely. I don't have your car near by or would offer to listen to it.

Here I am sorting out another engine that made noises. Maybe after spending some years hearing this everything else seems quite? (Just kidding, hope you get to the bottom of what you are hearing in your car...hopefully its is just a normal sound and you have tuned into it as it seems like something wrong.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-352jOXVS34.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hummm, not hearing that sound on our CR-V.....stopped at a light I often wonder, did the damn thing just die? ('till I see the tach sitting on 725). Standing in front with the hood open I do hear what sounds like an older Mercedes diesel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I've posted in a few other threads, I have the same noise. It comes from somewhere under the back seat... not from the engine. I moved up from a FIT... and that engine did have a "tick" to it. This is different, this is a tapping from under the car, toward the rear. You can't hear it much from outside, and it's not from under the hood. Tacobella posted a great clip where you can definitely tell it's not in the engine. Agree Tacobella?
I continue to follow, thanks.

Agreed. It’s definitely not coming from the engine. It’s a tapping from the rear/underside of the vehicle. It literally sounds like someone is tapping with their fingers repeatedly. Gets worse in the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts