Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that the engine from inside the car sounds a bit different when you first startup the car and for a few minutes after? Like it’s running some sort of pump?

Anyone know what that is? Should I be concerned?

Seems to drive fine otherwise.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring HyBrid All wheel drive, black/black.
65 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure it's anything to do with engine temp because it does this every startup. Even when engine is already warm...

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring HyBrid All wheel drive, black/black.
65 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
'20 CR-V Hybrid EX
16 Posts
Not sure if it answers your question but I've noticed that if the battery is low when I park for the night, the engine will run when I start up the next day. In contrast, if the battery has a fair charge remaining, I get a quiet start up and departure.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Not sure if it answers your question but I've noticed that if the battery is low when I park for the night, the engine will run when I start up the next day. In contrast, if the battery has a fair charge remaining, I get a quiet start up and departure.
I have found the car will run the ICE for heat, if the climate control system is on.
I have learned to always leave the CC system off when parking in my garage, that way the ICE will not come on if I start the car remotely, important when in a closed garage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have found the car will run the ICE for heat, if the climate control system is on.
I have learned to always leave the CC system off when parking in my garage, that way the ICE will not come on if I start the car remotely, important when in a closed garage.
Just to be clear: the car will run the ICE so it can rune the generator. Electric power is used for the climate control.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Just to be clear: the car will run the ICE so it can rune the generator. Electric power is used for the climate control.
Electric power is used by CC, even the A/C compressor is electric, but I think it's using engine coolant for heat as any ICE car would, not electric heaters like a Tesla uses.
I'd like to see a switch for "Do Not Start the ICE for Any Reason", useful for garages or other enclosed locations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My concern was that the engine was always louder right after ignition startup, even with engine warm. Once it auto-stops it's never that loud again whenever it auto starts. But if I cycle the ignition it will be loud again until it auto-stops. It almost sounds like the engine is running some other accessory like a pump.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
239 Posts
Anyone else notice that the engine from inside the car sounds a bit different when you first startup the car and for a few minutes after? Like it’s running some sort of pump?
From the manual. Catch all statement which makes it difficult to be overly concerned about unusual noises as I think they've covered all bases.

● Sounds Unique to the SPORT HYBRID i-MMD System
When you first start driving this vehicle, you will likely hear some unfamiliar sounds, particularly when you turn on the power system, or while you are driving or accelerating from a stop, or when the air is flowing through the High Voltage battery cooling air intake while the High Voltage battery cooling system is activated. Some of these sounds are unique to the powertrain as well as to the fuel, climate control, and High Voltage battery cooling systems; others are similar to sounds generated by conventional automobiles that typically are masked by louder noises absent from a vehicle of this design. These sounds are not a cause for concern, and you will soon recognize them as normal and thus be able to detect any new or unusual noise should one develop

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
This makes total sense and is consistent with the owner documentation on the hybrid that I have read.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
My concern was that the engine was always louder right after ignition startup, even with engine warm. Once it auto-stops it's never that loud again whenever it auto starts. But if I cycle the ignition it will be loud again until it auto-stops. It almost sounds like the engine is running some other accessory like a pump.
Apparently this is normal for the Honda hybrids. The vehicle is likely going through startup baseline self adjustment for driving, and in a hybrid.. that means a lot of things are working differently than in our 1.5T engines.... as the control unit dynamically adjusts just about everything in real time to balance use of the ICE and the electric drive system.

Keep in mind.. this engine is not a traditional ICE engine. It instead has been modified and electronically tuned to operate as a classic Atkinson Cycle ICE engine. One of the key differences is how the valve system works. Compression and expansion ratios are the same in an a classic ICE engine. But in an Atkinson ICE engine the expansion ratio is significantly larger than its compression ratio.

The Atkinson cycle delays the intake valve’s closing until the piston has completed 20 to 30 percent of its upward travel on the compression stroke. As a result, some of the fresh charge is driven back into the intake manifold by the rising piston so the cylinder is never completely filled, at the expense of low-speed power (which is a non issue in a hybrid). The payoff comes after ignition when the piston begins descending on the expansion (power) stroke. The shortened intake stroke combined with a full-length expansion stroke squeezes more work out of every increment of fuel, which is why the approach is so popular in modern hybrid vehicles.

It would not surprise me at all if the Atkinson cycle results in a different noise profile than most Honda owners are familiar with.

·
Registered
2015 CRV AWD EX-L, 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid Touring
45 Posts
Why would you remote start the vehicle in a closed garage? And what is the advantage to remote starting if you are not starting the ICE?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Why would you remote start the vehicle in a closed garage? And what is the advantage to remote starting if you are not starting the ICE?
Having the seat heaters activate so the seat is warm when I get in. :)
But I suppose at some point it would need to start the ICE for electric power for the seat heaters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently this is normal for the Honda hybrids. The vehicle is likely going through startup baseline self adjustment for driving, and in a hybrid.. that means a lot of things are working differently than in our 1.5T engines.... as the control unit dynamically adjusts just about everything in real time to balance use of the ICE and the electric drive system.

Keep in mind.. this engine is not a traditional ICE engine. It instead has been modified and electronically tuned to operate as a classic Atkinson Cycle ICE engine. One of the key differences is how the valve system works. Compression and expansion ratios are the same in an a classic ICE engine. But in an Atkinson ICE engine the expansion ratio is significantly larger than its compression ratio.

The Atkinson cycle delays the intake valve’s closing until the piston has completed 20 to 30 percent of its upward travel on the compression stroke. As a result, some of the fresh charge is driven back into the intake manifold by the rising piston so the cylinder is never completely filled, at the expense of low-speed power (which is a non issue in a hybrid). The payoff comes after ignition when the piston begins descending on the expansion (power) stroke. The shortened intake stroke combined with a full-length expansion stroke squeezes more work out of every increment of fuel, which is why the approach is so popular in modern hybrid vehicles.

It would not surprise me at all if the Atkinson cycle results in a different noise profile than most Honda owners are familiar with.
Ah yea I figured it was normal and something to do with the hybrid powertrain. I'm just wishing it was quieter right after startup because other than that noise, I've been really impressed by how quiet the car is. Luckily it's only once each drive.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Ah yea I figured it was normal and something to do with the hybrid powertrain. I'm just wishing it was quieter right after startup because other than that noise, I've been really impressed by how quiet the car is. Luckily it's only once each drive.
What I initially found disconcerting was that the ICE RPM had nothing to do with the wheel RPM. If you hear an engine roar you expect something to happen I guess. Of course on the highway the ICE gets clutched to the wheels. I let my brother drive the car, and he complained it didn't have a tach. On this car a tach would be worse than useless, it would just confuse you. :)

·
Super Moderator - how may I help?
2,421 Posts
From the manual. Catch all statement which makes it difficult to be overly concerned about unusual noises as I think they've covered all bases.

● Sounds Unique to the SPORT HYBRID i-MMD System
When you first start driving this vehicle, you will likely hear some unfamiliar sounds, particularly when you turn on the power system, or while you are driving or accelerating from a stop, or when the air is flowing through the High Voltage battery cooling air intake while the High Voltage battery cooling system is activated. Some of these sounds are unique to the powertrain as well as to the fuel, climate control, and High Voltage battery cooling systems; others are similar to sounds generated by conventional automobiles that typically are masked by louder noises absent from a vehicle of this design. These sounds are not a cause for concern, and you will soon recognize them as normal and thus be able to detect any new or unusual noise should one develop
Well that is a mouth full! (may be a US expression?)

Reactions: Charlie1960
1 - 20 of 27 Posts