Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've got a 2002 CR-V Sport and have covered many trouble free miles with my ol' girl, but today the engine warning light came on just as she hit 3000rpm in 5th gear. She lost power until the revs dropped to 2500rpm and then drove as normal. But the engine light is still on and she still won't rev higher than 3000rpm before losing power.

Any clues what might be happening here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You need to take it and have the code read at an AutoZone or ect. They will normally do this for free. And then they will give a code. Come back with the code and someone can tell you what it intails.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your car is in limp mode because the computer has either stopped getting or is getting out of threshold information from a sensor. It could be a sensor failure or it could be something serious. As stated above you need the code read to tell what it is. You'll probably have to take it to a shop anyway so I would just take it to a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not a bad idea to at least check the engine oil level before continuing to drive the vehicle. Low oil level can cause the VTEC system to malfunction, resulting in MIL illumination and the engine management system to limit engine RPM.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not a bad idea to at least check the engine oil level before continuing to drive the vehicle. Low oil level can cause the VTEC system to malfunction, resulting in MIL illumination and the engine management system to limit engine RPM.
100% true! We just fixed our '03 V which dropped into limp-home mode when the oil level dropped below the add line -- it had a weird oil leak (discussed in another thread). Check that oil level first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts