Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 CR-V : I had the oil changed a few a few months ago and almost as soon as I left the shop then engine warning light came. I checked with my reader but do not remember exactly what unit it said was bad. The engine uses oil a lot, I see nor smell no oil in the exhaust, I see no leaks at the engine, nor do I see any indication of milk leaks on the concrete lot.

I did clear the warning light and it was not long before it came back on, a few miles not days. I mentioned it the the "technician" when I had the oil changed last week and asked if he could look and see if the was a connection that manna have been knocked loose. He saw none.

Today as I was driving the engine did sound a bit off but ran okay. The warning light began to flash on and off, then was solid a while then flashed some more., I made it home, not much to do otherwise to do at present.

Where could the oil be going if there are nom indications of a leak outside and no indication by exhaust? When I do check the oil level it always shows low, and that is a bit tricky to do anyway-- not reading it but getting the dipstick back in where it goes.

It may be time to let this vehicle go, it gets a lot better gas mileage than my F150, and is easier for my 5'2" wife with bad legs rot get in. But it looks like to get anything back to decent shape I would have to pay more than the car is worth, and I plain do not have the money anyway.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
642 Posts
The first thing you need to do is to get the trouble codes. there are over 100 diagnostic trouble codes that can be indicated by the check engine light, and without knowing which they are, no one here will be able to offer advice.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
642 Posts
That is a description which may be incorrect because the scan tool is not programmed for only your CR-V.

Can you tell me what the actual code was? It should be 5 digits starting with P0.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can try with another reader I have, be tomorrow so I can see. The one I have did not show a code as I expected, like you ask for. Just the words I supplied.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
94 Posts
A flashing check engine light is a warning of possible severe damage if continuing to drive.
Hopefully you can scan for the diagnostic code and check out the freeze frame data.
A bad O2 heater circuit??

Please let us know how it goes and what the fix was.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I can try with another reader I have, be tomorrow so I can see. The one I have did not show a code as I expected, like you ask for. Just the words I supplied.
Actually you have the information you need. ObdII codes always refer to the same component or system. The only difference is that technically the bank one sensor 1 for Honda is a air/fuel ratio sensor. Looks and functions much like an 02 just how it measures the exhaust is slightly different and very specific to a Honda.

You have what you need to start. What I dont understand is why the shop that changed your oil couldnt pull the code and tell you what was wrong. Need to check the connector and such for the ratio sensor (looks like an 02 sensor) that's closest to the exhaust manifold/cylinder head. If that looks fine, not damaged, needs the sensor replaced. They arent cheap, $175ish but you cannot replace with anything except the Denso Air Fuel Ratio sensor. Trying to be cheap will cause a ton of issues if you can even find a cheaper one by some shady company.

Also while your at it, if you haven't had it done recently, have the valve lash adjusted.

Fixing these minor issues is far cheaper than trying to buy a used vehicle that has god knows what problems and also far cheaper than a car payment. CRVs literally run forever if maintained. I'm at 250k and runs perfect. Taken trips over the summers without worry or issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank, Tigriss. I went back out this morning to read the code with a reader usually keep in the code port, (OBD Fusion) . It monitors a lot of info as well as reads codes; but I could not get it to work. So after some checking it seems that an update to the iPhone does not support that unit!

So, back to the other reader, it showed O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1 (not GX sensor as I wrote before!) It also showed cyl 2, and 4 misfires and random misfires (four separate codes , but not by code number.

My guess is that the shop charges so much just to hook up the code reader to pull the code. I really cannot afford to put much into it, and not afford anything newer. It does need Pa state inspection so may just take it in and see what they say. Kind of hate tom tase int to a dealer, but they may be the better choice now.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you have Pep Boys or Autozone near you, they can both help you get codes for free.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a lot of places like them are not doing that at present, not sure if a good or bad decision.

·
Registered
642 Posts
They advertise that they do it by me, so they have to out here.

Remember, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
71 Posts
Flashing check engine light is generally a misfire. Misfires throw off front oxygen sensor reading..... Heater circuit for an oxygen sensor isn't going to make the light flash. check the condition of all the tune up components. I would start by taking a look at the spark plugs and checking their condition.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
P0300 is random misfire
P0302 is cyl 2 misfire
P0304 is cyl 4 misfire

I dont remember the heated 02 circuit code which is generic and doesnt catch that for a Honda it's the AF sensor. Still a heated O2 sensor more or less.

The 02 sensor circuit is pretty straight forward. Check the connector and wires for it going to sensor and to the vehicle harness. If not damaged, melted etc then it's the sensor. Replace it.

Misfire codes which caused the flashing CEL can have a long list of causes. That AF sensor being crapped out is one of them.

Beyond that it is a pretty long list that's going to require a mechanic to sort out. Whatever you do dont keep driving it though till its fixed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts