Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine which is better the 2016 with 2.4 or the 1.5 turbo? Which lasts the longest with least repairs

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd say that it really depends on how long you want to keep the car. If you think that you'll be getting rid of the 1.5l turbo at around 60k miles, go for it. As for me, I just picked-up at '16 w/34k miles and 2.4l engine. Any risk of fuel finding its way into the crankcase, as it happens with the turbo, is only asking for trouble. Fuel and oil DO NOT PLAY WELL together. Everything within the engine can/will experience degraded lubrication resulting in earlier, extensive wear (hence the extended warranty from the factory). I intend on keeping mine for as long as I can 200k-300k miles if possible. I'm not a speed demon, nor do I plan on any heavy-duty hauling, this is my basic transportation and grocery getter/Home Depot hauler. The less to go wrong, the better! 😉

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I just picked-up at '16 w/34k miles and 2.4l engine.
There have been a few reports of 2015+ CR-Vs with the 2.4L engine experiencing the oil dilution problem. While the turbo engines seem to have more issues with OD, the direct fuel injection design is what seems to be the base cause.

The 2002 thru 2014 2.4L CR-V engines used a multipoint fuel injection design.

So keep an eye on your oil level.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There have been a few reports of 2015+ CR-Vs with the 2.4L engine experiencing the oil dilution problem.
Well :poop:! I thought I was in the clear! It actually makes sense that "pressurizing" the fuel into the cylinder could cause the blow-by rather than the turbo pressurizing the air. I shoulda caught that!

The 2002 thru 2014 2.4L CR-V engines used a multipoint fuel injection design.
My 2004 has the same engine and never had any issues, but then I'm somewhat of a zealous preventative maintenance believer and never go more than 4k - 5k miles between changes. You know, an ounce of prevention…

THANKS RACOON!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts