Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Two weeks ago, I bought four 2008 aluminum steel wheel rims for 2007 CR-V. But, I made the mistake of spraying Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner on my wheels and left it a little too long. I now have white streaks on all four wheels.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,

Two weeks ago, I bought four 2008 aluminum steel wheel rims for 2007 CR-V. But, I made the mistake of spraying Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner on my wheels and left it a little too long. I now have white streaks on all four wheels.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!
Does the Turtle Wax Wheel Cleaner clearly state that it is safe for aluminum rims? If it does, contact them directly and request compensation for damages.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,186 Posts
There are cleaners for aluminum rims, and cleaners for PAINTED aluminum rims. Aluminum cleaner WILL etch paint if left on too long. There are usually disclaimers about that on the package or bottle. Usually painted wheels require a different cleaner. OE Honda rims are clear-coated.

To remove brake dust "filings" the cleaner often must be acidic. Its the old caveat "when used as directed".

I used "chrome wheel cleaner" on some brake-dust-encrusted chromed rims I got. It worked great on the outside but I DID notice that areas on the inside (which I did not clean off immediately) had been "etched". No big deal once the brake dust built up again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts