Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another open article from Consumer Reports.

LG and GM have isolated the fault condition, due to a manufacturing process error, no the recalls begin.

These are the sorts of teething pains I expect we will see across the industry as EVs proliferate. Which is a clear indicator of the value of those long term battery warranties that come with EVs. There is a lot of innovation in the industry right now around battery technology, so these sorts of early life issues are going to happen with some models/brands. So.. if you are squeamish about having a vehicle that needs serious recalls for safety... best to let EVs mature a few years before diving in.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,608 Posts
It's worse than you think. They were telling you to not park indoors. Now they are saying you should park at least 50 feet from any other vehicles or structures.
But the truth is there have only been a dozen fires, which is a pretty low percentage. Wonder what it is for gas cars?

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's worse than you think. They were telling you to not park indoors. Now they are saying you should park at least 50 feet from any other vehicles or structures.
But the truth is there have only been a dozen fires, which is a pretty low percentage. Wonder what it is for gas cars?
Yeah the temporary guidance until your vehicle is recalled and corrected is worded from the perspective of "out of an abundance of caution" and I am sure was issued at the insistence of the lawyers at GM. If you do not warn and guide owners during a pending recall.. then you are not only liable... you are criminally reckless and negligent and will suffer in the courts and at the hands of regulators.

It does sound like the problem is very rare, but LG did identify a cause in the form of a manufacturing defect and lithium packs shorting out are indeed cause for great concern. All the Teslas burning up on freeways after an accident pretty well demonstrates the danger of large lithium packs being compromised either by collision or internal defect.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,039 Posts
Wow, glad I have NO interest in electric cars!
The ONLY interest I CURRENTLY have in EVs is the fact that I love new technology!

I HATE the fact that we may all be forced out of choices of new vehicles.

CHOICE is a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
The ONLY interest I CURRENTLY have in EVs is the fact that I love new technology!

I HATE the fact that we may all be forced out of choices of new vehicles.

CHOICE is a good thing.
Well we were all forced out of using horses I guess.
I'm interested in EVs, but only interested, certainly not enough to buy one.
I drove a Tesla, IMHO it's simply not safe, especially for teenagers. Nobody needs that kind of torque outside of a track.
I'm most interested in the plug-in hybrids. Electric for around town and fuel for longer trips.
But at the time I was looking there was no plug-in available for purchase anywhere in my state, or in Colorado for that matter.
I could have got one in Salt Lake City, but having to return there for service was not going to happen.
But the CR-V Hybrid gives me most of the advantages of electric traction, without the downsides of a pure EV.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm most interested in the plug-in hybrids. Electric for around town and fuel for longer trips.
Same here. Plug-in at home is great for local EV commuting, and on longer trips... the vehicle can just shift to hybrid mode. No need to rely on charging station infrastructure.

Plug-in hybrids are actually quite popular around here in the bay area, more so than EVs. But that is probably only because EVs across the brands are not quite in the market yet. For EVs.. Teslas 3s are quite popular around here, but I suspect that will decline as all these newer design EVs from the big manufacturers begin to proliferate in the market. Nissan Leafs are also popular as a commuter vehicle here in the valley.

In addition, most buyers of Teslas, and the small number of other EV alternatives, are taking advantage of incentives and installing solar panels and Tesla PowerWall battery arrays in their garage and are in fact charging almost exclusively from solar harvested at their home. They store power in the battery array during the day and then charge their vehicle from the stored power at night time. So literally no burden on the power grid at all. And I suspect this trend will continue in California.

Of course all this varies by state, as some states legislate and incentivize to promote vehicles that offer better green footprints compared to traditional ICE, and others actually appear to be legislating to hinder movement to more green vehicle technology entirely. In some ways, the US really is like a loose confederation of 50 different little nations (states) and some of them are quite anti-federalist in their style and approach and are constantly going to be at war with the federal government on promoting proliferation of plugin hybrids, EVs, and other alternative fuel power trains. We even have a couple states who constantly get up on their soap boxes and pretend they can "brexit" their way out from under federal laws and regulations. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
Those rooftop solar arrays are great, when you don't have to pay the actual cost.
Except you need a LOT of grid power to run the heaters to keep them clear of snow so they can make (less) power. :)
But I suppose that isn't a major issue in the Bay Area.
Around here wind is more reliable. I see people making small turbines with old car alternators and getting 400-500 watts out of them on a good day. More watts for a given footprint than the best solar panels, and they work at night.
Of course you still have to store it somehow.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those rooftop solar arrays are great, when you don't have to pay the actual cost.
Except you need a LOT of grid power to run the heaters to keep them clear of snow so they can make (less) power. :)
But I suppose that isn't a major issue in the Bay Area.
Around here wind is more reliable. I see people making small turbines with old car alternators and getting 400-500 watts out of them on a good day. More watts for a given footprint than the best solar panels, and they work at night.
Of course you still have to store it somehow.
I agree... where you live... wind power makes more sense.. even for the individual home. Same principle, just a different source for energy to store in the battery array. I imagine for some owners, who live near running water, hydro might also work in specific situations.

The key here in all of this, I think, is people need to be more open minded and get out of their normal comfort zone of doing things the way they have been done for decades. Times change, technology changes, and each owner needs to assess that in the context of their needs. In the US, there is always a die-hard, refuse to change, get your hands off my ICE engine faction in the population, which is fine until they try to make everyone else stay rigidly stuck with them in the past. :) Heck.. in some US communities... horse drawn buggies are still THE preferred/only method of transport in 2021. :p Mackinac Island is a great example, as are the Amish communities scattered across the nation.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
The Illinois EnergyProf on YT has some good material on small scale hydro (bottom line, you need a LOT of water).
The nice thing about the small wind turbines is there is a lifetime supply of old alternators at any junkyard.
But we're getting kind of far away from the Bolt recall. :)
Telling buyers they can't charge in their garage or overnight, or even CLOSE to their house, kind of kills the thrill a bit I'll bet.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Telling buyers they can't charge in their garage or overnight, or even CLOSE to their house, kind of kills the thrill a bit I'll bet.
Yep.

But peoples homes burning down would be a lot worse, even it it was only one house in the entire country.

If I had a Bolt right now.. I would charge it during the day in my garage with the door open and monitoring it until it gets recalled and fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts