Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Event Log for TSB 18-072

2029 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jahlapenoez
I have intermittently had the shudder within the first 10 seconds of starting (normally in reverse, but sometimes in drive or park). It has become less frequent the longer I have owned the car, and most of the occurrences have been mild. Until today when I had a rather significant shudder.

This is leading me to invoke TSB 18-072 at the dealer before HondaCare expires (along with a fix for the VTC actuator clammor at startup). However, I am waiting for my Maintenance Minder to hit 15% (it is at 20% right now) so I can do everything in one visit, and I am afraid the dealer won't be able to find the incident in the onboard computer by the time I get it into the shop. Anyone know how long those logs stay in the computer?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
TSB 18-072 says an engine stall must happen under specific conditions for the TSB to apply. When the stall occurs a PGM-FI snapshot is captured. There is no indication in the TSB that there is a time limit for the dealer to retrieve the file.
You had a shudder, so there would be no snapshot. It appears your condition is worsening, so I suggestion you reverse the vehicle whenever possible after a cold start until a stall occurs. Then take it to the dealer to look at the snapshot.
I assume you have a '15 or '16 model. The warranty is 5 yr, 60,000 mi so you have limited time.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only stalled once since I've owned the vehicle (way before the TSB was released, years ago). Otherwise it's always just a dip in RPM followed by a very sensitive accelerator that revs the engine higher than usual immediately after the shudder. Guess I'll report the issue again to register it before the warranty expires in hope of a goodwill repair later.

· Registered
888 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I have very rare occurrences along the same line with my 2015 CRV: cold start/reverse/near but not total stall, then all’s well.

Have others experienced this? Is there an explanation short of TSB 18-072? If this is from the same underlying cause is it ultimately merely a nuisance turn into something more serious?

As I’m out of warranty, probably don’t have a “snapshot” absent a full stall, and this is a really expensive repair it does give me pause. And my first Honda, too…

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

· Registered
70 Posts
I can ask the service rep at Honda some more questions at my appointment if this TSB issue is more of an occasional annoyance or will lead to transmission failure.

I'm the exact situation as the original post right now and have a service appointment this week for diagnostic under an almost expired powertrain warranty. My CRV stalled in reverse a little over a month ago but I have not been able to take it to the dealership until now. About the original poster's question, I'll see what the diagnostic appointment result is and report back. If I have the TSB issue and they can retrieve the snapshot, I can confirm it stores it at least over a month.

· Registered
70 Posts
So Honda was not able to retrieve a snapshot from my car today. I either did not stall due to this specific issue, the car didn't record a snapshot, or it was lost in the 5 weeks between occurring and the service appointment. I was told to try to minimize my miles (less than 2000 miles left on warranty) driven and see if the issue occurs again so I can bring it in right away. Service center was nice enough to not charge me the $89 diagnostic fee (maybe having powertrain warranty had something to do with that?).

· Registered
888 Posts
So Honda was not able to retrieve a snapshot from my car today. I either did not stall due to this specific issue, the car didn't record a snapshot, or it was lost in the 5 weeks between occurring and the service appointment. I was told to try to minimize my miles (less than 2000 miles left on warranty) driven and see if the issue occurs again so I can bring it in right away. Service center was nice enough to not charge me the $89 diagnostic fee (maybe having powertrain warranty had something to do with that?).
Odd. Mine did record such an event even though it didn’t involve a complete stall. Event occurred 2-3 weeks ago so maybe the snapshots aren’t stored forever. Or perhaps your issue is from a different cause altogether.

Did you get any sense as to where such a problem might lead: calamity vs nuisance? I did not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.