Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just driving my wife's 2017 with 84000kms and every light on the dash came on and the faults started scrolling on the display. Everything is disabled and will remote start but shuts off. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow and I'l report back.

Anyone ever hear of this just curious.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Yes it happens, and there are a number of possible reasons. More and more, these modern vehicles are real christmas tree light shows when something is not working correctly... mostly because many systems are interdependent and constantly talk to one another via the internal bus.

The dealer should be able to read the system codes and troubleshoot the root cause.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I read it he other thread to consider the oil dilution thread so the reason I say that, I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said it's dumping way too much fuel into the system. He said they are thinking the high pressure fuel pump or injectors.
So I'm outside my bumper to bumper warranty so my only hope is major component which is good until 100,000kms. Thing is the service guy is said the high pressure pump and injectors are not listed that he's found under major component. Really wtf??
So far it's going to cost me $100 just to put the scan tool on it and then at least another hour for them to dig into it. Likely be a couple hundred bucks today but I'll have to wait until the final word on what's wrong with it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,154 Posts
So I read it he other thread to consider the oil dilution thread so the reason I say that, I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said it's dumping way too much fuel into the system. He said they are thinking the high pressure fuel pump or injectors.
Not to make light of your issue, but I am amazed that the dealer can diagnose the fault over the phone and without seeing the car.

Personally, I call BS on his pseudo-diagnosis until its actually verified.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to make light of your issue, but I am amazed that the dealer can diagnose the fault over the phone and without seeing the car.

Personally, I call BS on his pseudo-diagnosis until its actually verified.
It was at the dealer at the time.

So it cost me $319 today. $200 of it was 2 hours of diagnosis and I needed an oil change anyway. Add tax and there ya go.
So what they're saying it's the injectors. Had the code p0172 and was too rich, They performed Honda trouble shooting and checked fuel pressure, maf and fuel quality and they checked out good. They deducted that down to the only thing it could be is the injectors but it did not have a misfire which is common for injectors. The oil was also diluted.
So total estimate is $1065 plus tax for the injectors on top of what I paid today. Calling Honda tomorrow and see what they will do since it's not three years old yet and there's only 84000kms on it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
P0172 is set typically by your Long Term Fuel Trims.

As we have discussed many times, than can be directly related to fuel in oil.

An oil change should have been first try to see if the fuel trims return to normal. Not a direct jump to fuel injectors.

If Honda Canada extended warranty like US, then stay on them till they pay up. Save all receipts. Scan them in if possible.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
It was at the dealer at the time.

So it cost me $319 today. $200 of it was 2 hours of diagnosis and I needed an oil change anyway. Add tax and there ya go.
So what they're saying it's the injectors. Had the code p0172 and was too rich, They performed Honda trouble shooting and checked fuel pressure, maf and fuel quality and they checked out good. They deducted that down to the only thing it could be is the injectors but it did not have a misfire which is common for injectors. The oil was also diluted.
So total estimate is $1065 plus tax for the injectors on top of what I paid today. Calling Honda tomorrow and see what they will do since it's not three years old yet and there's only 84000kms on it.
Bad injectors does appear to be a bit of an ongoing thing with gen5 CRVs... as we have seen a number of threads in the last year about this being as a specific failure.

If you live in a state or province with a generous emissions warranty, that will cover the injectors for a longer period than the 3/36. So check your emissions warranty in your stack of warranties associated with the vehicle.

In checking the US warranty extension to the powertrain given to all owners of gen5s... a P0172 code is a valid event under the warranty, and the warranty specifically states it covers ANY engine components (and lists some as examples, which notably included spark plugs.. so it has to also cover injectors) and is valid for 6 years and unlimited miles. If the Canada extension is similar.. then you have a clear case of that extension of the warranty covering your issue so don't let the dealer straight-arm you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm definitely going after them for today's bill too. Not to be too greedy but I shouldn't be paying them for diagnosing something that should be warranty.
The service manger did say that they have see a couple CRVs and Accords that needed the injectors replaced and who wouldn't think anything that's in the powertrain wouldn't be major component anyway.

Honda Canada did extend the warranty and I had the recall done last year but the service manger says the injectors aren't covered so we will see but that's his interpretation of it. I didn't buy it from this dealer but I'm hoping
that shouldn't matter. He gave me the toll free number and told me to call them.

Is it possible to have an injector issue without a misfire?

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I'm definitely going after them for today's bill too. Not to be too greedy but I shouldn't be paying them for diagnosing something that should be warranty.
The service manger did say that they have see a couple CRVs and Accords that needed the injectors replaced and who wouldn't think anything that's in the powertrain wouldn't be major component anyway.
You may win or lose this battle. I don't specifically know Canadian laws about diagnostic testing fees that ultimately lead into an extended warranty claim.. but in general I think diagnostics are considered an owner liability once you are out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper... though when a valid warranty claim results.. often in the US I hear the dealers will then get Honda approval to cover the diagnostic fee for the service incident.

Of course with the dealer stating injectors are not covered (which is BS according to the Honda warranty extension letter I received.. see below) they will also stand fast on not covering the diagnostic fees too.. so you need to get Honda to get the dealer to process a warranty claim under the warranty extension first.

Worth a shot to press it ... so go directly to Honda corporate on your appeal.... as the dealer has no incentive to refund the diagnostic fees unless they get Honda's boot on their neck about it.

Honda Canada did extend the warranty and I had the recall done last year but the service manger says the injectors aren't covered so we will see but that's his interpretation of it. I didn't buy it from this dealer but I'm hoping
that shouldn't matter. He gave me the toll free number and told me to call them.
You have your official letter from Honda extending your powertrain warranty to 6/unlimited..yes? Take it out, read it.. and if it is like the US letters... it clearly states:

Some 2017-2018 CRV vehicles may experience driveability issues. This may result in Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 (all of which are misfire codes) OR P0172 (fuel system too rich), OR a whirling noise comein from the engine compartment (which is caused by bad cams). These may result in the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) turning on.

This warranty extension applies to any engine components, such as... <they insert a sample, but not complete list of components .. which by the way even includes spark plugs>.
If the extension covers spark plugs, I find it impossible to believe it does not also cover the injectors, fuel pump, and other fuel and combustion associated parts. And Honda certainly knows that they do have some bad injectors in the field as I am sure they see more diagnostic results that show bad injectors than we do in this forum.. and in fact it is becoming a more common posted issue here in the last year... on par with bad batteries (give or take some).

Tell the dealer if they persist, in the face of clear wording otherwise, to cover injector replacement under the warranty extension ... tell them flat out they are forcing you to appeal directly to Honda. In the US.. that usually gets the dealer moving, because Honda is pretty hard on dealers that piss over customers over valid service warranties and service in general. In the US, a dealer is motivated to appeal for warranty coverage VS the customer doing it and Honda ordering the dealer to do so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts