Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and am looking to purchase a new EX 1.5T during this covid-19 pandemic for a good deal.
My reason for choosing an EX is that I prefer cloth seats in general and I cannot justify the extra $2400 or so price premium for an EX-L for the small amount of upgrades it provides.

That being said, this vehicle will be at this time ungaraged and will be exposed to the hot sun all day.
I plan on installing sheepskin seat covers as all my previous vehicles had them too.
Can anyone recommend a quality brand you've installed on your vehicle?

I also prefer a non cloth material on the door arm rests/door panels as they appear to be "scratchy" to the touch on the EX.
I've looked for aftermarket kits to recover them but to no avail. I've seen them for the previous gen. but no gen 5 kits
I would appreciate it if anyone has ever located such a kit and can provide a link. I would have no problem installing it myself as I am a retired automotive professional.

Thank you all in advance.

Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
Welcome to the forum! I'd just go with some nice seat covers. I think I saw some nice ones in the Trading Post section that might give you a brand name to start with. On the doors, the EX-L trim is not leather either, just the fake stuff. But you won't find anything OEM for a reasonable price for a new model.

Sheepskins are comfy, but cannot be kept clean or smelling good.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
That being said, this vehicle will be at this time ungaraged and will be exposed to the hot sun all day.
I plan on installing sheepskin seat covers as all my previous vehicles had them too.
Can anyone recommend a quality brand you've installed on your vehicle?
This is the brand I use in my Hondas.. both CRV and Accord. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0182QTSP6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are available in 4 colors which makes it easy to match up to just about any interior. Some folks think they are a bit pricey, but in my experience, particularly with seat covers.. you get what you pay for. Note: they are sold individually, so if you want them for both front seats, you need to purchase two units.

I have been quite happy with them over the years. The drivers seat of course gets a lot more wear and tear, so it may need replacement very 3 or 4 years.. depending. What I do is every couple years, I swap the driver and passenger covers, to even out the wear and tear, and in doing so.. I have never had to replace a pair yet.

But these are great quality, and they are an open cover (covering the seating area only) so they do not interfere with the side airbags in the seats, or pockets in the back of the seats, etc. The hold down fasteners are effective, you just have to be sure that you hook them to actual springs and structures in the seat (NOT any under seat wiring), so you will need a light to see what and where you are hooking. The only challenge with them is that they have a front wrap (which is not sheepskin, which is good) that is a bit hard to wedge down past Honda's plastic seat guards that protect the front corners of the seats.. but with a little patience and a wooden ruler, I was able to nudge and seat them so they do not slide back up. If you are a butt-slider when you get into your vehicle... you may find that the left side will tend to push and slide a bit off the side support of the seat, but it is easy to readjust as needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the brand I use in my Hondas.. both CRV and Accord. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0182QTSP6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are available in 4 colors which makes it easy to match up to just about any interior. Some folks think they are a bit pricey, but in my experience, particularly with seat covers.. you get what you pay for. Note: they are sold individually, so if you want them for both front seats, you need to purchase two units.

I have been quite happy with them over the years. The drivers seat of course gets a lot more wear and tear, so it may need replacement very 3 or 4 years.. depending. What I do is every couple years, I swap the driver and passenger covers, to even out the wear and tear, and in doing so.. I have never had to replace a pair yet.

But these are great quality, and they are an open cover (covering the seating area only) so they do not interfere with the side airbags in the seats, or pockets in the back of the seats, etc. The hold down fasteners are effective, you just have to be sure that you hook them to actual springs and structures in the seat (NOT any under seat wiring), so you will need a light to see what and where you are hooking. The only challenge with them is that they have a front wrap (which is not sheepskin, which is good) that is a bit hard to wedge down past Honda's plastic seat guards that protect the front corners of the seats.. but with a little patience and a wooden ruler, I was able to nudge and seat them so they do not slide back up. If you are a butt-slider when you get into your vehicle... you may find that the left side will tend to push and slide a bit off the side support of the seat, but it is easy to readjust as needed.
Thank you for your experience with the product and the link. I will put these on my short list. My favorite brand was Blue Ribbon sheepskins but they appear to be no longer in business.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Katzkin sells a leather kit for the ex. Not sure they would sell just the door pieces seperately.
Thanks for your reply. I'm sure anything Katzkin is expensive. I've seen those kits they make for Gen 10 civics etc. made of microfiber to resemble faux leather. I'm surprised they don't offer kits for the current CRV. Surly I must not be the only one interested in such a kit but since it's not available, there must be not be much of a demand for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum! I'd just go with some nice seat covers. I think I saw some nice ones in the Trading Post section that might give you a brand name to start with. On the doors, the EX-L trim is not leather either, just the fake stuff. But you won't find anything OEM for a reasonable price for a new model.

Sheepskins are comfy, but cannot be kept clean or smelling good.
Thanks for the welcome. I have not had any problems in the past keeping the sheepskins clean and I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell. Yes I realize the OEM door trim covering on the EX-L/Touring are not leather. I may have to pick up some vinyl material and attempt to recover them once I take apart the door panels (once I acquire the vehicle).

Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
I gotcha. As an experienced leather worker I can say easily enough that it's not for the faint of heart, but it's not rocket science either. The doors, that is. A fairly adept person can do it easily enough. On the sheepskins, mine served me well over the years, but I used them in big trucks, where it's not as easy to keep them clean.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a more diligent search on the interweb, I found a kit on ebay. Unfortunately I will have be the guinea pig to experiment with this and judge its quality. At least I can see the pattern they use in case I decide to purchase my own vinyl but it won't have the stitches which seem to add a nice detail and more OEM looking. In case anyone is interested, here's the link:

Thanks to everyone who chimed in...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, let us know how this turns out. Haven't seen one of these before.
Will do. This is actually a good option if one was to tear or damage the door panel/armrest. OEM dealer retail pricing on average is over $300 per panel plus shipping. Found another seller on ebay for a few bucks less for the same thing so I guess there is a demand:

Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
I have the issue on my '07. I got the eBay replacement genuine China-Cow armrest covers. So far so good. Cheap, and easier than making them by hand. A little off-color though, darker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts