Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We areinto the 2nd week of owning our CRV, and while my wife doesn't mind this, it bugs me.

Whenever we drive, i feel like the steering wheel is just not comfortable at all, and feels very cheap. I know I could replace it with the heated steering wheel here, but since I dont want the heated functionality, would it be cheaper to install a civic SI steering wheel instead? They look the same as per this pic, i just assume without the heated element running through it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Since you asked, I have no complaints with the steering wheel. The leather feels nice, the size fits right, and the thickness feels hefty in a good way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
The OP said he has an EX so his steering wheel is not leather wrapped.

I myself find the stitching of the leather wrapped to be uncomfortable so I would prefer the EX steering wheel... lol

Oh well... can't have everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OP said he has an EX so his steering wheel is not leather wrapped.

I myself find the stitching of the leather wrapped to be uncomfortable so I would prefer the EX steering wheel... lol

Oh well... can't have everything.
so.... would you like to trade? :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't know about the Si wheel, but you can buy the EX-L non-heated (which looks like the Si wheel, but without the red contrast stitching) online for ~$150 + shipping, part number 78501-TLA-D10ZA. You'll need to verify that the remaining parts are the same, of course, because that price only includes the leather-wrapped rim. (Go to the Honda e-Store, pull up the '17 CR-V and look under Chassis -> Steering Wheel. Ignore the prices on e-store; those are list prices; you can get parts online for much less.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about the Si wheel, but you can buy the EX-L non-heated (which looks like the Si wheel, but without the red contrast stitching) online for ~$150 + shipping, part number 78501-TLA-D10ZA. You'll need to verify that the remaining parts are the same, of course, because that price only includes the leather-wrapped rim. (Go to the Honda e-Store, pull up the '17 CR-V and look under Chassis -> Steering Wheel. Ignore the prices on e-store; those are list prices; you can get parts online for much less.)
wow thank you so much! this is very helpful. I will be doing this in the near future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the EX model as well, and I dislike the rubber feel of the factory steering wheel. So with this part number: 78501-TLA-D10ZA looks like its just the "grip". How do you go about changing this out? I can't find any instruction on the e-store or anywhere else.

I also found some steering wheel leather wrap on Amazon, but not sure if the end result would be factory looking... and it will require lots of work (stitching..) Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the EX model as well, and I dislike the rubber feel of the factory steering wheel. So with this part number: 78501-TLA-D10ZA looks like its just the "grip". How do you go about changing this out? I can't find any instruction on the e-store or anywhere else.

I also found some steering wheel leather wrap on Amazon, but not sure if the end result would be factory looking... and it will require lots of work (stitching..) Thanks!
The instructions for installing the accessory heated steering wheel are on College Hills Honda's web site. You won't have to do all of the extra wiring for installing the wiring for the heater function, but the instructions show everything else you will need to do. Link here: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crv/2017/heatedsteeringwheel.pdf

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 17 EX and just swapped my rubber steering wheel with an leather wrapped that I got off of Ebay. It was brand new and still had the factory plastic wrapped around it. I got mine for 43.00 with shipping. I installed it last week. The worst part was breaking the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place. I had to use a long breaker bar. I then took everything off of my existing wheel and moved it over to the new one. I have had it in place for over a week and am much happier with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The same seller has another listing on ebay. The cost is a little bit higher than what I payed. Here is a link:
ebay.com/itm/2017-honda-CRV-leather-steering-wheel-/272703319585?hash=item3f7e626e21:g:~hQAAOSw~y9ZEb~7&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
380 Posts
Interesting... It says "Took off New 2017 Honda CRV". I wonder why they would take them off... Maybe someone wanting a custom steering wheel? Or are these salvage vehicles maybe (though he says "New")

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting... It says "Took off New 2017 Honda CRV". I wonder why they would take them off... Maybe someone wanting a custom steering wheel? Or are these salvage vehicles maybe (though he says "New")
Mine is in perfect condition. I wonder if they are swapping in heated leather steering wheels on the touring or EX-L models at the dealer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 17 EX and just swapped my rubber steering wheel with an leather wrapped that I got off of Ebay. It was brand new and still had the factory plastic wrapped around it. I got mine for 43.00 with shipping. I installed it last week. The worst part was breaking the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place. I had to use a long breaker bar. I then took everything off of my existing wheel and moved it over to the new one. I have had it in place for over a week and am much happier with it.
did you reuse the bolt or did you have to get a new one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replaced my "rubberized" EX steering wheel today with the leather one. 17CRVPGH is right about breaking loose the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place, that thing is the toughest bolt I've ever encountered! Even harder than my crank pulley bolt on my old Acura Integra! First it's an Allen bolt, so make sure you have a 10mm Hex Socket (I bought one from here: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-38-in-drive-metric-hex-socket-set-69546.html) and then I used an electric impact wrench to break loose the bolt as regular socket wrench won't budge. Even with electric impact wrench, I had to spray some liquid wrench lubricant for it to finally come off. Once the bolt is loose, you don't even need the steering wheel pulley to remove it, it will just come right off. Make sure you follow the instruction from the above link to replace "heated steering wheel", and just follow the steps that matter to you. Getting the plastic / control / cable off was okay, not as easy as I thought since i didn't want to break any plastic parts. Please do take your time and it should be able to snap off. Overall it took me about 1-1.5hr to complete as I am pretty familiar with tools, but if I didn't have the electric impact wrench, I'm sure it would be even tougher! If you don't have all the tools, I recommend take this to a mechanic to replace it, so it may save you some headaches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a steering wheel off ebay for 55 bucks, and im hoping it will come soon. Might attempt it this weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts