Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else is getting exhaust fumes inside their vehicle. It gets worse if the sunroof or windows are open. Only happens if I push the rams from 2k to about 5-6k. I haven't seen any posts about my issue.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
The only rotten egg smell we get is from cars ahead of us. This, on all our cars (Honda or not).

On my manual-trans '06 CR-V, I routinely rev up to 6K rpm without any smells.

If the smell was coming from your own car, you would be most likely to notice it when coming to a stop (and the smelly air 'caught up' to you).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the sulfur smell wether I'm doing 40 mph or 80 mph. Either way the fumes enter the car. It's almost as if it's coming from the engine compartment and entering the vehicle. I'm gonna have to test drive another one and see if I get the. Same result under hard acceleration. Other wise besides having to replace a complete sunroof assemble, the truck has been great so far with 8500 miles ion it. Only complaints I have are the ridiculous turbo lag that will be the death of me one day cause it can't get out of its own way if you make a sudden stop and go to take off again.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don't think you are smelling a sulphur smell. Exhaust certainly doesn't smell nice, but a whiff of sulphur and you'll strongly think about vomiting; I don't think the rotten-egg smell has happened since the days of leaded gas where people put the wrong stuff in an unleaded car and fouled the catalytic.

Certainly it's a serious issue and you should investigate it, but if you tell the dealer you are smelling sulphur and that's not correct, they are totally going to blow you off.

The most common "that's really foul!" smell in passenger cabins is an oil leak hitting exhaust piping. Low-temp oil combustion is right up there next to burning brake pads as far as gaaaaccckkkk!!! goes. To determine if that is what you are smelling, just pop the hood after the engine is nice and toasty and put a few drops of oil directly onto the exhaust manifold; it should smoke in a couple seconds and see if that's the smell you are getting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts