Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 CR-V exhaust rattle sound under load ~1500-2000 RPM. Thought it was heat shields or broken bolt/connection but found that the noise was coming from inside the resonator. Brought to local exhaust shop and they concurred. They will only replace with OEM parts or cut it right out. I don't really like the thought of cutting it out with the increased noise.
Aftermarket parts aren't too expensive but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do?

Contemplating taking some metal tapping screws and putting them through to hopefully snag the loose inner pipe that is most likely causing the rattle? Have nothing to lose at this point as I will have to replace the pipe anyways if it doesn't work.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,039 Posts
Unless you are in California, I don't understand why they would only want to fit factory parts. Exhaust shops around here are a dime a dozen. They will gladly replace a resonator as that does not affect emissions.

A catalytic converter is another matter for Californians, those need to be CARB certified.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I had a rattle in the pipe between my converter and resonator and an exhaust shop punched a couple small wholes through it and then welded them back up. The first generation uses a double wall pipe and the inner and outer pipes were rattling together.

·
Registered
693 Posts
you can buy the whole midpipe for 100 bucks shipped on ebay. I bought one to replace my car since the pipe was rusted. or you can get the whole exhuast for 210 + shipping

maybe check rockauto?

If you need the converter I have one that wasn't California, but federal approved that I can sell you. Its just sitting my garage ever since I moved back to california since they require the replacement to have the CARB OE #

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2004-Honda-CRV-2-4L-exhaust-resonator-muffler-pipe-/182632921701?hash=item2a85c53a65:g:jRMAAOSwjKFZS~Fr&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2004-HONDA-CRV-CENTER-EXHAUST-MIDPIPE-AND-MUFFLER-ASSEMBLY-CATBACK-SYSTEM-/172648768013?fits=Year:2003|Model:CR-V&hash=item2832ab220d:g:xm8AAOSwjqVZAqZh&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can buy the whole midpipe for 100 bucks shipped on ebay. I bought one to replace my car since the pipe was rusted. or you can get the whole exhuast for 210 + shipping

maybe check rockauto?

If you need the converter I have one that wasn't California, but federal approved that I can sell you. Its just sitting my garage ever since I moved back to california since they require the replacement to have the CARB OE #
]
I looked into the aftermarket resonator and can get it for ~$200 CAD. Could be had cheaper online but shipping almost negates that. I am just worried that I won't be able to get the bolts out. 260k km on them. I will get under there with some PB blaster once I am back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CRHeming....I'm having a very similar issue for the resonator. Did you end up replacing the resonator by yourself? If you did, were the bolts easy to get out? And did it resolve the issue?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My 2003 I replaced my resonator pipe quite easily. Make sure you have a 4" or 5" grinder or dremel with cut off wheel just in case.

Now the converter.....ya I'm a mechanic and I was cussing at that for over an hour because I dont have a cutting torch at home (should have done the swap at the shop).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts