Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaning towards purchase of a extended service contract for my soon to be delivered CRV, ]but hope to use my mechanic for the majority of the service work. [/U]I can save a lot of money, and it is far more convenient.

I am wondering what documentation is needed to prove the work has been done, and if anybody has encountered problems qualifying for coverage when they did this.

For example, I purchase my own oil and filters, he does the oil change. Do I need receipts for filter and oil? Or just proof he changed it?

Is a service log enough? Or must I produce receipts for each service event?

I'd appreciate any opinions and advice, including the suggestion that this is a stupid idea if you feel that, I don't want to find I've voided an expensive service contract.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
John

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've attached links with the contract information. It specifies your responsibilities -- including that YOU must maintain original receipts for all work done. Do not rely on the dealer's records.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/docs/example_contract.pdf

Specifically for the Emergency Road Service benefit: I found on Honda's website that up to five additional Honda/Acura vehicles in the same household are also covered under the "family plan" even if they are not under a HondaCare plan. If you have additional qualifying vehicles, this would mitigate some of the cost of the plan by dropping emergency road service from your car insurance.

https://agero.quickbase.com/db/bi9z3hpa4?a=showpage&pageid=4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much for providing the contract information. Best to anticipate problems than face them later. I am assuming that if I had a receipt for oil change labor, done on time, I would't be pushed for receipts for oil and filter. My Mechanic does the oil change for $10..and I cover the costs..which saves me $30 compared to a full synthetic oil change at dealer

I was also interested in the part of the contract which indicates it is void if the problem is caused by your lack of maintenance. For example, the lack of an on-time oil change would not cause a failure in an electrical system. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would do EVERYTHING recommended. I was even surprised that you were required to rotate/balance tires, etc. I would assume that if you have a large repair bill covered under warranty that they would look for any reason to deny the claim.
Best save those receipts for the oil and filter you purchase, as well as the mechanics receipt for labor. I also think I saw a stipulation that you had to have the ORIGINAL receipts as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts