Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I get your point, but "major components" now days in these modern vehicles is much more than the powertrain. The powertrain is actually one of the more reliable aspects of vehicles these days. It's all the secondary systems, particularly electronic systems where the risk lays.

Owners considering which way to go on this.. extended warranty, or self-underwriting..... need to understand what is and what is not covered by any warranty beyond the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. There is a truck ton of costly systems NOT covered by the powertrain warranty. In the old days, the do-it-yourself owner could buy pretty simple and low cost parts to fix a failure on their own. Those days are gone though with these modern vehicles.

I will say that for the low end trim (LX) there is less risk involved. But take the Touring trim for example... which a good number of us own... even a simple headlight failure is over a thousand dollars, because the LED headlight assembly is pretty much a single FRU + labor... no real ability to do spot repairs. Even do it yourself.. on this headlight... still going to cost north of 800 dollars just for the FRU.
Peace bro......but this sounds almost verbatim to the dealership finance manager spill. LOL. Politely told him thanks, but no thanks. Livin’ on the edge........still prefer the jingle in my pocket. YMMV.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If the car is out of warranty and there is a software/firmware update (TSB) you want applied or maybe even need, is the dealer going to charge you for that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any deals on these warranties? I ask because when I bought my Toyota I found a different dealer in a different state that had better prices.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Any deals on these warranties? I ask because when I bought my Toyota I found a different dealer in a different state that had better prices.
You can definitely shop around online. Some states though.. only allow these to be sold "in-state", which can limit your options, so check what your state laws are on this... save you some possible grief.

Generally speaking, if you decide to go the extended warranty route, in my view it is best to go with the brand sponsored/sold plans. Less opportunity for cross finger pointing between parties involved. This depends on the quality of the extended warranty (meaning cost to purchase, what it covers, what if any deductibles, etc.)... so read the fine print in any offered warranty carefully. HondaCare, by Honda, for Honda's, is one of the better brand specific plans out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have less than 100 miles to go on the warranty of our 2017 CRV. If you bought the extended warranty, do you recommend buying one? Why?

Thanks!
Honda won't fix our vehicles under the factory warranty. Why would they fix them under an extended warranty?

·
Registered
174 Posts
a lot of warranties from the dealer Gap insurance damage a rim covered. never hearing the next statement bill , your insurenace just been raised.. so yeah warranty insurace is all you
Eh what? Did this post come out of an AI review generator?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've never bought one until this car. Always believed they weren't worth it. However with all the computers and electronics on board I felt HondaCare was a reasonable cost security blanket. Hope I never have to use it but after being on this forum for the gen 5 version I'm glad I bought it. Remember, different strokes ....... If it helps you sleep better at night then get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a used 2017, 22.5 miles.

After being burned once years ago by a 3rd party warranty- overpaid and then they were out of business when I needed to use it- I haven’t bought another. I turned down the ridiculous $1300 3rd party warranty that was offered by the dealership where I bought the car (“discounted” from $1800 lol).

But...after reading some of the apparently common issues talked about on this forum, I think I will buy the Honda Care for the EXL that I just bought. Price from Saccucci for the 5/80k with $100 deductible is $765. $865 with no deductible.

It’s a CPO so the standard warranty is extended to 4/48. Looks like the in service date was 10/17. Should I wait until I’m at the end of the standard warranty to buy the extended so the coverage lasts longest? It looks like it would be $50 more at that point. The site says it’s 5 years from the date of purchase. I don’t drive a ton so it will be more about time than mileage for me.

Appreciate any advice or info. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We are lucky to get 1% interest in the UK
my warranty is direct with Honda
The Gap policy I buy from another insurance co direct
He did not say a savings account dofus... he said an index fund which is very different.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
He did not say a savings account dofus... he said an index fund which is very different.
The name calling is totally unnecessary.

And yes ... BUT... unlike a savings account or similar instrument (Like CDs, etc) that cannot loose principal, an index fund can lose principal and fail to earn any gains. Totally depends on the state of the market the index fund is based on and the funds expense ratio. If you look at their history.... they do well in a bull market and they take it in the shorts in a bear market.

A tax free municipal bond fund would be a safer bet for the purpose proposed here. Much less volatility, and tax free earnings free of both state and federal income taxes if the bonds in the fund are for the state you live in. For most people a 3% return on a muni bond fund is equivalent to 6-8% in a non tax free fund.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Just bought a used 2017, 22.5 miles.

After being burned once years ago by a 3rd party warranty- overpaid and then they were out of business when I needed to use it- I haven’t bought another. I turned down the ridiculous $1300 3rd party warranty that was offered by the dealership where I bought the car (“discounted” from $1800 lol).

But...after reading some of the apparently common issues talked about on this forum, I think I will buy the Honda Care for the EXL that I just bought. Price from Saccucci for the 5/80k with $100 deductible is $765. $865 with no deductible.

It’s a CPO so the standard warranty is extended to 4/48. Looks like the in service date was 10/17. Should I wait until I’m at the end of the standard warranty to buy the extended so the coverage lasts longest? It looks like it would be $50 more at that point. The site says it’s 5 years from the date of purchase. I don’t drive a ton so it will be more about time than mileage for me.

Appreciate any advice or info. Thanks.
Used car warranties from HondaCare are a bit different than for a new Honda... so be sure to read all the fine print, particularly eligibility limits if you are thinking about a deferred purchase of the warranty. If I recall... it must also be a Certified Used Honda to qualify... which means the dealer selling it has certified it's quality, maintenance history, and current condition per Honda requirements and specifications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Used car warranties from HondaCare are a bit different than for a new Honda... so be sure to read all the fine print, particularly eligibility limits if you are thinking about a deferred purchase of the warranty. If I recall... it must also be a Certified Used Honda to qualify... which means the dealer selling it has certified it's quality, maintenance history, and current condition per Honda requirements and specifications.
Thanks for your reply. It is a CPO. I found a few sites online that state you can only buy the Honda Care ew while still within the 3/36k original warranty.

So I would need to buy it before October of this year and coverage would begin on the date I buy it. I believe I would be covered by the ew from through 2/25 or 80k whichever comes first?

By deferring buying it until September I would get an additional 8 months out of it if I’m understanding what I’ve read correctly.

I emailed the person at Hyannis Honda to try to confirm all this and am waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a follow up for anyone who may be looking into this in the future - I got a reply from Hyannis Honda. On the used 2017 the last date I could buy the ew from Honda Care is 12/31 of this year or 35,999 miles. I think I’m going to put a reminder on my calendar for early October and make a decision then.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I never bought extended warranties - UNTIL my 2018 CRV. Within a month of purchase the oil level was climbing up the dipstick and after joining a few owner groups I quickly learned of the dreaded oil dilution issue. So I bought an 8 year / 120K mile HondaCare warranty ($1,170 online at Saccucci Honda) to give me some peace of mind since I like to keep my cars a long time and have a reasonable fear that fuel in the oil will increase the rate of engine wear.
Unfortunately, the extended warranty does not cover the incredibly fragile windshields on these CRVs - My CRV is 15 months old and on it's third $1,100 windshield - with two additional chip repairs along the way. Safelite now says they are seeing a lot of CRVs. So far I've only had to pay a $100 deductible for each of the windshields but have been told by my insurance company that my deductible will increase to $1,000 after my next windshield claim. So if it cracks again I will have the insurance company replace it again and then trade in the CRV - and this longtime Honda owner will not be buying another Honda!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did not buy a warranty last August with my new CRV 2019 purchase. The finance guy just went on and on. If I believed him, I am the stupidest dude around. My thoughts are that I get 3/36000 already. If it is having problems I can trade it in before the warranty expires. (I am the only person not getting 10 calls a day saying they are calling about my car warranty:))

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have less than 100 miles to go on the warranty of our 2017 CRV. If you bought the extended warranty, do you recommend buying one? Why?

Thanks!
I did buy the extended warranty for my 2014 but I never used it I guess I purchase it for peace of mind. However if you have a turbocharged engine I would think the extended warranty may come in handy. There definitely seems to be a rash of problems with that motor. Also your CVT cannot be repaired it has to be replaced if you have an issue you'll be glad you have a warranty.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts