Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have the money in the bank for repairs then don't buy the extended warranty. If you don't have the money in the bank for it then don't buy the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
to me a lot of that depends on how much you drive. I bought one for a new truck for 1100 and drove thru it in a few years. I average about 40,000 miles per year. I have 195K on my 2014 and would have wasted the money on this car too.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Be careful. Its not bumper to bumper and may not cover alot.
Incorrect. The HondaCare plans DO in fact cover "a lot".

It is not as complete and exhaustive as the factory 3/36.. but it does cover just about every electrical or mechanical system on the vehicle.

It will not cover plastic parts generally, nor normal wear and tear (neither does the 3/36), nor defects from road hazards (windshields, dents/chips on the body or bumpers) but that is what your auto insurance is for.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If you have the money in the bank for repairs then don't buy the extended warranty. If you don't have the money in the bank for it then don't buy the car.
How do you know how much money to "have in the bank" though?

It's not a money issue for me.. I simply prefer to have a fixed cost of ownership when I buy a new vehicle. Two key elements of that is the cost to purchase + plus a Honda Care warranty that covers any defect during the life of the warrranty. The only thing left beyond that is fuel, tires, battery, and general maintenance.

It is also a general peace of mind aspect for me. Having a solid warranty for the life of my owning the car, means never feeling the need to go "postal" on an internet forum because <random component X> just failed outside of the the factory warranty, and <will cost a big chunk of dollars to repair>. Instead, drop it off at the dealer, pick up the free rental car, and await their call back that they have completed the repair.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I usually self insure rather than buy the extended warranty. Most of the time the warranty winds up just a little more expensive than the cost of repairs. Sometimes self insuring is more expensive. Most times I would have never used the warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have less than 100 miles to go on the warranty of our 2017 CRV. If you bought the extended warranty, do you recommend buying one? Why?

Thanks!
When you buy a new car, Honda will deal a lot on the extended warranty. Don't fall for all the add-ons like windshield replacement. That is cheaper from your insurance. Don't buy a warranty from a company that solicits by phone or mail. Often those are scams. I bought one because repairs of the computer or other electronics are very expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Overall Honda makes a good and reliable car. But things do happen. Yep, insurance companies make a lot of money off the warranty costs, but from a owner's point of view, you have coverage (providing it's reputable) and peace of mind. Note that repairs starts at $250 and up ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have less than 100 miles to go on the warranty of our 2017 CRV. If you bought the extended warranty, do you recommend buying one? Why?

Thanks!
I started purchasing Honda cars back in 1990. I have owned 7 of them to date, all brand new - ‘90, ‘95, ‘99, ‘03, ‘09, ‘15 and now my ‘18 CR-V. Never have I purchased an extended warranty. I usually sell them or trade them in at 100,000 to 150,000 miles. Never have I had an issue with any them. Purchasing an extended warranty is a profit for the finance guy.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I usually self insure rather than buy the extended warranty. Most of the time the warranty winds up just a little more expensive than the cost of repairs. Sometimes self insuring is more expensive. Most times I would have never used the warranty.
I used to be the same way.. until I researched the cost to repair many of these modern electronic systems in these new cars. So I changed strategies after our last prior purchase in 2013 without an extended warranty.

In the old days.. about the only costly thing an owner had to worry about would be a powertrain failure (either engine or transmission), and in most cases that was covered at least through 5/50K. Just about everything else was fairly inexpensive to repair.

NOT anymore, and more and more of it is really not do it yourself category either (like the millimeter radar assembly for example.. because you need a full shop calibration set up).

41 - 49 of 49 Posts