Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just purchased my first Honda - 2017 CRv EX-L
During the sale process they asked me if I wanted the extended 8 yr/96k warranty for $2k. I declined it and the finance guy seemed shocked. Got the whole sales pitch, "Well, it's a Honda, but with all the tech these days, you really should get it" I haven't bought a new car in a long time, and the older cars really didn't need this. But it's left me wondering. How many of you purchased the extended warranty. Am I making a mistake in not buying it?

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
lostproc,
No mistake at least in buying from your dealer. Hondacare can be purchased at new car rate until 6 months or 6000 miles. Further their are three popular dealers folks here on this forum have purchased at a better rate than your dealer. College Hills, Hyannis and Saccucc.

The decision for extended warranty is a personal one regarding your own risk and aversion to it.

Many will have opinions here. Search the forum for hondacare. There are at least two threads on the topic. Er, now three :)

JJ

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi All,
I just purchased my first Honda - 2017 CRv EX-L
During the sale process they asked me if I wanted the extended 8 yr/96k warranty for $2k. I declined it and the finance guy seemed shocked. Got the whole sales pitch, "Well, it's a Honda, but with all the tech these days, you really should get it" I haven't bought a new car in a long time, and the older cars really didn't need this. But it's left me wondering. How many of you purchased the extended warranty. Am I making a mistake in not buying it?
You absolutely most definitely did the right decision. They are RIPPING YOU OFF with that warranty. It is not a Honda warranty as Honda's 8 year one is actually up to 120,000 miles not 96,000 miles.

The links you were provided above are for Honda's "HondaCare" extended warranty program. You can get an 8yr/120k anywhere from $1050-$1200 and it is Honored at every Honda dealer. They also offer different year/mile combination that can save you even more money.

Also, Honda allows you to get these warranties at the "new" price for up to 6,000 miles and you can cancel and get all your money back within 60 days or prorated after that.

You want to get these extended warranties from the dealers provided in this thread as your own dealer will undoubtedly try to stiff you with the HondaCare warranty. These threads saved me $1000 after my dealer ripped me off with my HondaCare. The cancellation policy and fairer prices gave me bargaining power and I convinced them to re-process my HondaCare at the fair market price. This is why competition is beautiful and beneficial to consumers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Same advice as above. College Hills Honda had the best pricing when I checked last week. I purchased the warranty my dealer offered at the time of purchase as I knew I had 60 days to cancel and knew I'd be researching after I left. I just went in today to cancel the $2k policy and the finance guy at the dealer was so slimy, instant car salesman. Told me I was making a mistake and that hondacare was not as good and they do not cover nearly as much and I would end up regretting it. Then he tried to say I would be getting most of the $ back and I told him, no, I will be getting it all back since it's within 60 days, he did not like that and gave me quite the stare. He asked what price I got for honda care and when I said about 850 he flat out said he couldn't match anywhere near that. They just don't like losing their chunk of my $.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We bought it. Works at any Honda dealer, extends factory protections to 125k mi. A little pricey, but so are electronics fixes. If we have most anything go pear shaped w/ the touchpad on the EX, it will be a wash, at worst.

I've told people to skip this in the past, but couldn't this time...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would NOT skip the extended on this model. Far too many electronics cameras radars + Turbo vs. prior years, any of which will cost the price of your 1k warranty.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would NOT skip the extended on this model. Far too many electronics cameras radars + Turbo vs. prior years, any of which will cost the price of your 1k warranty.
Yep. I concur for about $850 for 100k you can't go wrong with Honda extended plan..

·
Registered
26 Posts
PS - I think mine was $1600 or $1700 to extend things to 125k miles - not the obscene pricing I've read in other threads on the topic, but not quite the bargain of the day either. The turbo was a big motivator for me on this decision too. They do not last forever and are not that cheap to rebuild or replace.

If things go well with a turbo, the bearings and seals wear out after several years and they leak oil, get noisy. If things don't go well, they suck in something hard and frag themselves. Better to have this happen on the exhaust side than on the intake side!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shopped on-line for the best price http://hyannishondacare.com/questionnaire.php and took it to my dealer--he matched it. I did the same for my 2013. You can transfer once for $50 if you sell yourself. It makes finding a buyer super easy and helps you get top dollar! Also it includes road side service for the duration of the contract.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm. I just looked at the Hyannis Honda Care questionnaire, and California does not appear in the "Registration State" list. Anybody know why not?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. I think I'm going to pass on Hondacare. Thinking back to previous vehicle, I didn't starting having problems until years 10+. So the warranty ending after 96 wouldn't have bought me a whole lot. Hopefully the 2017 CRV proves as reliable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The compressor went in my 07 went about 3 months after my 96/120 Hondacare expired. Two or three of the speakers quit working after about 5-6 years and they did cover it. Even though I have probably spent more than I saved extended warranties, I still plan on getting a Hondacare when I buy my next Honda.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went back to the dealer today and cancelled the 6 years 80K miles I bought for $1,300 (I now know I paid too much after reading this thread). I contacted Lynn from College Hills Honda and will purchase the 8 years 120K miles for about $1,047. I only have 1324K miles on my crv and I was within the 60 days time frame for the full warranty refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
We just bought a Honda CR-V Touring AWD last night. We bought the warranty from our Honda...Ours is a lifetime warranty with unlimited mileage. We keep our cars 15 years or more so this is a wonderful deal for us. One big repair and we break even but at two repairs in a 15 year span I am ahead! The other thing is our Honda said I can pass this warranty on if I give my car to a family member. We are giving our 2001 Honda Civic to our granddaughter so I am planning to gift this car away when the time comes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would love details/costs/dealer on this, Johnson545...I'm so confused on how to approach this issue..so much variability and shadiness to it

·
Registered
653 Posts
We just bought a Honda CR-V Touring AWD last night. We bought the warranty from our Honda...Ours is a lifetime warranty with unlimited mileage. We keep our cars 15 years or more so this is a wonderful deal for us. One big repair and we break even but at two repairs in a 15 year span I am ahead! The other thing is our Honda said I can pass this warranty on if I give my car to a family member. We are giving our 2001 Honda Civic to our granddaughter so I am planning to gift this car away when the time comes!
I just sent in my HondaCare application to College Hills Honda. Lynn Arney confirmed for me that HondaCare still offers free family plan benefits. Any Honda/Acura registered in the same household gets free Emergency Roadside Assistance (I think you have to sign them up after the initial policy is purchased). Once mine are registered, I'll be saving a little bit of money canceling that coverage on my car insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is my post from late March in a related thread. I bought the plan two weeks after the vehicle purchase, but it is based on the date of purchase.

Hyannis Honda
$0 Deductible Options
Plan Years Mileage Rate
D34 3 45,000 $340
D46 4 60,000 $470
D56 5 60,000 $490
D58 5 80,000 $620
D50 5 100,000 $730
D68 6 80,000 $645
D60 6 100,000 $775
D62 6 120,000 $885
D78 7 80,000 $695
D70 7 100,000 $880
D72 7 120,000 $985
D80 8 100,000 $965
D82 8 120,000 $1100

$100 Deductible Options
Plan Years Mileage Rate
C58 5 80,000 $515
C50 5 100,000 $625
C68 6 80,000 $540
C60 6 100,000 $670
C62 6 120,000 $780
C78 7 80,000 $590
C70 7 100,000 $775
C72 7 120,000 $880
C80 8 100,000 $860
C82 8 120,000 $995

College Hills Honda
$0 Deductible Options
4 yrs/60k mi $445
5 yrs/60k mi $465
5 yrs/80k mi $595
5 yrs/100k mi $705
6 yrs/80k mi $620
6 yrs/100k mi $750
6 yrs/120k mi $860
7 yrs/80k mi $670
7 yrs/100k mi $855
7 yrs/120k mi $960
8 yrs/100k mi $940
8 yrs/120k mi $1075

I don't think it matters, but it is for a Touring AWD. The Hyannis quote also included the following:
* Coverage for a New Honda vehicle begins when the vehicle is originally put into service at zero miles.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts