Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CR-V forum.
I just bought a 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring today. I’ve been looking around at different cars and decided on this one. We are passing down the ‘06 Pilot to my son and are looking forward to driving the new car.

I optioned in the maintenance for three years at dealer cost, for the convenience and paper trail in case there is warranty claim. I also added the 7-year (4 year really) extended warranty at “dealer cost”. I have the option to get a refund at any time.

I do not really know the long term reliability of CRV’s, but coming from a Pilot, there were some things that were covered and some that we had to pay out of pocket for (alternators, plural). Not sure that I would have come out ahead if I had an extended warranty on the Pilot. So I am fine with not having purchased one 14 years ago.

The Hybrid powertrain I believe is warranted 7 years standard, although I am not sure exactly which components are NOT covered under that warranty. With all the technology these days, maybe there is more chance of a non-power train component or system failing after 3 years? So the main question I have is:

Is the warranty is worth it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid $2,800, extending coverage for the bumper-to-bumper items by an extra 4 years to 7 years total.

So I guess it’s two questions. Is that a good price (I could not get it any cheaper at that dealership), and is it needed?

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid
132 Posts
I paid $2,800, extending coverage for the bumper-to-bumper items by an extra 4 years to 7 years total.

So I guess it’s two questions. Is that a good price (I could not get it any cheaper at that dealership), and is it needed?
I have a quote for 8yrs/120k miles, $0 deductible @ $1370 from Hyannis MA Honda for my 2020 Hybrid Touring. Found them on line based on recommendations on this forum. Dealer where I bought the car wanted $3500. So I don’t think you got a great deal. I also do not think many of the Hybrid drivetrain components are covered for 7/8years in the factory warranty from what I see in the warranty manuals. I haven’t purchased the extended warranty yet, but probably will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve never purchased an extended warranty before, either during or after the initial purchase. So it would seem that I could get a refund, shop around and purchase a better plan for less. I will probably call that dealership in MA and see what they can offer. Is that plan an extended bumper to bumper warranty? Or does it cover more than what the standard warranty covers?

@wingleg, I see a TR6 in your stable. This was dropped off at my house on Thursday...

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@GENIE2020 that is a good read. I’ll probably cancel my policy. Payment will stay the same, so the car will be paid off sooner. Thanks for the link! Now on to reading other threads about EV mode button and ECO mode. There’s a lot to get used to after driving ‘older’cars...

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid
132 Posts
I’ve never purchased an extended warranty before, either during or after the initial purchase. So it would seem that I could get a refund, shop around and purchase a better plan for less. I will probably call that dealership in MA and see what they can offer. Is that plan an extended bumper to bumper warranty? Or does it cover more than what the standard warranty covers?

@wingleg, I see a TR6 in your stable. This was dropped off at my house on Thursday...
View attachment 141807
Definitely get the extended warranty on that one! Congratulations, she looks like a beauty! Everything in good running order? Be sure to check out your local Triumph club, it’s great to have a group of like minded “nuts” to share in the fun.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I took the extended warranty and the 5 year service plan
Here in the UK we only get 3 years
who knows which is best
enjoy you new toy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Extended warranties are usually a sucker’s bet. Think back to your most troublesome car. Even if you had an extended warranty, did you stick with it just because you had a warranty? Probably not. Take that money and keep it in an emergency fund. No emergency and you keep the money!
Besides, most repairs are less than two car payments.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Extended warranties are indeed a bet. The house (the dealer) thinks it knows about what the average repair costs will be over the term of the warranty. It charges you, say, 25% more than that to make sure that they cover their own expenses, and make a little profit as well, when enough of these bets are made to treat them with an average.

Auto insurance is a similar bet.The little green lizard's people (or whoever) think they know the average cost of automobile accidents, and charge you the same 25% over that average. Medical insurance, too. In fact, that is what insurance is.

The benefit of any such insurance is not whether it covers your costs when they are about average, but what happens if there is a catastrophic issue that costs a lot more than the average. If a tree falls in front of a safe driver, and he ends up hospitalized for a year, his insurance covers it.

What you are gambling with, when you decide about an extended warranty, is not the average cost of repairs vs. the cost of the warranty. It is the difference between those two (the 25%), vs. the chance that you will have a failure that costs as much as the car is worth. With all the fancy electronics in modern cars (check out prices to replace a CR-V windshield that has cameras, radars, and rain sensing attached to it; then be thankful it also doesn't have a HUD like the Accord does), the gamble may be worth it. But we can't tell you that.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
116 Posts
Wouldn't pay for one. Roll of the dice.
A warranty is only as good as the tech doing the repair IMO. Lots of horror stories about poor quality workmanship.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it’s a Gamble one way or the other that I will have to figure out. I can see both sides of it really. That’s why I sat in the financing office for as long as I did wondering, “is this the car with all the high tech stuff that warrants an extended warranty?” In the end I obviously took it knowing I could cancel it. I guess I will decide on it. If there are better deals out there that might be an option. Cut the cost in half and feel better about it.

Definitely get the extended warranty on that one! Congratulations, she looks like a beauty! Everything in good running order? Be sure to check out your local Triumph club, it’s great to have a group of like minded “nuts” to share in the fun.
View attachment 141817
View attachment 141818
As for Le Triumph, it needs work. In-frame engine overhaul (valve guides, rings, carbs, clutch), brake overhaul. It’s a winter project. Was hoping to get the ‘76 911 sorted out, but after working on it determined it needs a complete engine rebuild (no compression) ...but everything else is pretty much fixed...mechanically. 911 went back to storage and we will drop the engine.

My Challenger has a cracked header that will need to be swapped out. That’s going to be a pain. Very tight in the engine bay with that hemi in there. Other than that she’s done.

Last one is a Jetta that won’t shift out of first. Still working on that one.

Ok back to regularly scheduled program. The new CR-Hybrid!

·
Registered
2017 Civic EX Sedan, 2020 CR-V Touring
45 Posts
We like to travel and when Honda started adding in the roadside assistance as part of bumper to bumper, we have got it twice. Once out to 5 years total on our 2010 and now again, with our new 2020 Touring we just got. This time, out to 7 years.

We keep our cars for at least 10 years at a go so I don't see it as money wasted and where the biggest value to us is the roadside, it is, to us, a good overall value. I have only ever had to have three things done under warranty on the 4 Hondas I have had that had warranty. Instrument cluster on a 2001 Civic at 87,000 km, siphon hose on my 2017 Civic and the crossbars (Paint coming off) on the 2010 CRV. Nothing insane really, other than the cluster if I had to pay for it out of pocket.

As for other kinds of warranties on things, I almost NEVER get them. It has yet to bite me.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
Extended warranties are usually a sucker’s bet. Think back to your most troublesome car. Even if you had an extended warranty, did you stick with it just because you had a warranty? Probably not. Take that money and keep it in an emergency fund. No emergency and you keep the money!
Most repairs on modern vehicles are much more than "two car payments".

Your claim used to be true.. but not anymore. Modern vehicles are a complex array of electronic, electromechanical, and mechanical sub assemblies. EXPENSIVE sub assemblies that cannot be actually repaired.... and as such are field replaceable units. Ask the 2017 owners here who have had to have their injectors replaced at ~ 70-75K miles as they are getting dinged for $1600-1800 to replace just the injectors, and most ASE mechanics won't touch the job.. so that forces you to the dealer.

The suckers bet now days is to NOT have an extended warranty. Reason: on average, every modern new motor vehicle will have at least one major repair outside of the factory warranty, and the average cost of a major repair on a Honda today --> $1500-4000 And with some savvy shopping online (given you do not live in a state that prohibits out of state dealers from selling you a HondaCare policy) you can get a policy for less up front than the typical repair costs.

I was never a buyer of extended warranties, but that changed with the purchase of a 2013 Accord for my wife, and now my 2017 CRV, and a 2018 Accord now too. I did my homework on statistical failure rates of vehicles in the year I was buying and also checked the number of subsystems and their costs and concluded it was the best move for me to take a fixed cost approach to the life of my vehicle rather than being held hostage by dealers for expensive components and labor. My total cost of ownership from a repair perspective is now fixed by the cost of the HondaCare policy I purchased... and NOT any failures in the vehicle for the time I own it. Note: I usually keep my vehicles for 8-10 years.

That said... If you buy/lease and turn over at 3 years or so though.. it makes no sense to have a HondaCare policy.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Hello CR-V forum.
I just bought a 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Touring today. I’ve been looking around at different cars and decided on this one. We are passing down the ‘06 Pilot to my son and are looking forward to driving the new car.

I optioned in the maintenance for three years at dealer cost, for the convenience and paper trail in case there is warranty claim. I also added the 7-year (4 year really) extended warranty at “dealer cost”. I have the option to get a refund at any time.

I do not really know the long term reliability of CRV’s, but coming from a Pilot, there were some things that were covered and some that we had to pay out of pocket for (alternators, plural). Not sure that I would have come out ahead if I had an extended warranty on the Pilot. So I am fine with not having purchased one 14 years ago.

The Hybrid powertrain I believe is warranted 7 years standard, although I am not sure exactly which components are NOT covered under that warranty. With all the technology these days, maybe there is more chance of a non-power train component or system failing after 3 years? So the main question I have is:

Is the warranty is worth it? View attachment 141804
I think it's just how comfortable or uncomfortable you are with the possibility of a large expense down the road (pun intentional). It's basically gambling, you are betting with the company that your car will break down, they are giving you odds, and you are hoping that you lose the bet. :)
Of course they are betting they can come up with some excuse to not pay.
Your hybrid ("High Voltage") battery is warranted for 8 years, I believe that is a federal requirement.
I also just went with the 2020 hybrid, very happy so far. First 1000 miles I got 44 MPG, and 400 of those miles were at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes that is why I initially bought the extended warranty (which I've confirmed cancellation today), to reasonably safeguard against component failure. I do have a quote from the dealership in MA with more reasonable rates. 8-years, 120,000 miles, $0 deductible for $1,370...less than half the price of what I initially paid for 7-years/100,000 mi (?), $100 deductible. Might go that route. seems way more reasonable anyway.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
In newer vehicles the cost of the extended warranty wouldn't cover most repairs. A tranmission issue, there is 2k for even something more minor. Cylinder head issue, 2-3k. God forbid an actual tranmission failure etc. One CV axle (I wont buy aftermarket garbage for Hondas) was about $500 installed on the 2013 Pilot we just bought. I only know because they were going to charge us by mistake, it was under dealer 30 day so let them fix it.

Now infotainment systems, climate controls etc, over $1000. Having $2500 added to a loan to never have to pay for a repair during the loan term is rather nice.

I'm a technician, I could repair myself, so I'm paying the cost of parts (or warranty company pays for parts) But then I gotta spend my free time doing it. Or use the warranty through the shop and get paid to do it so some of the money for labor literally goes back into my pocket.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a quote for 8yrs/120k miles, $0 deductible @ $1370 from Hyannis MA Honda for my 2020 Hybrid Touring. Found them on line based on recommendations on this forum. Dealer where I bought the car wanted $3500. So I don’t think you got a great deal. I also do not think many of the Hybrid drivetrain components are covered for 7/8years in the factory warranty from what I see in the warranty manuals. I haven’t purchased the extended warranty yet, but probably will.

Worth it a discounted price. Shop around.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts