Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the hybrid has an EV only mode, and I know the range is literal garbage and cuts off around 20%. What would happen if you added a 10kw or 20kw battery in parallel to the current battery? Will the system see the new battery capacity or would it just continue to monitor voltage and give a percentage display. With this increased battery size, the range should go up dramatically on EV only mode.

And lastly. With this integration, it would make sense to add a plug in charge option with the BMS, if that all goes as planned, what would it take to modify the EV only mode to go beyond the 25mph limit before turning on the motor?

Then the question is, why, with an EV only mode didn't honda add 3kw to the battery, add a plug in option and reap that sweet federal tax credit incentive? 7k would easily cover the modifications, and would most likely draw in a lot of new customers.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
I know the hybrid has an EV only mode, and I know the range is literal garbage and cuts off around 20%. What would happen if you added a 10kw or 20kw battery in parallel to the current battery? Will the system see the new battery capacity or would it just continue to monitor voltage and give a percentage display. With this increased battery size, the range should go up dramatically on EV only mode.

And lastly. With this integration, it would make sense to add a plug in charge option with the BMS, if that all goes as planned, what would it take to modify the EV only mode to go beyond the 25mph limit before turning on the motor?

Then the question is, why, with an EV only mode didn't honda add 3kw to the battery, add a plug in option and reap that sweet federal tax credit incentive? 7k would easily cover the modifications, and would most likely draw in a lot of new customers.
I would imagine that is coming on the Gen 6 CR-V ... 2022? Honda is not having any trouble selling the CR-V Hybrid as it is now. Adding the plug in in a couple of years would present a nice upgrade for current CR-V Hybrid owners.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think it stays in electic mode until 40mph
All I can say after nearly 4000 miles is the honda hybrid system is very good
I no longer watch and see what mode it is in all I know it gives good mpg and it is fun to drive and has plenty of power when needed
what more can you ask for

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
196 Posts
I didn’t know EV had a speed limit. With a loaded battery I thought the motor cut in early when accelerating hard or going up an incline. The car has switched to EV mode at high speed many times.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know the hybrid has an EV only mode, and I know the range is literal garbage and cuts off around 20%.
It's easy to confuse the purpose of an HEV, like the Accord or CR-V hybrid, with that of a PHEV, like the Clarity. Especially when the only physical differences seem to be the size of the battery and the charging port.

And, with no disrespect intended, the way to tell that someone is confused about it is if they think there is any significance to the EV range of an HEV.

All of the charge in an HEV's battery comes, originally, from gas. It is more efficient to alternate between generating more power than the car needs while saving the excess in the battery, then using it up later for acceleration or EV mode. So you might drive for two minutes saving power, then for two minutes using it. Doubling the size of the battery would do only three things:
  1. It would change that to four minutes saving power and four minutes using it. The smaller battery does the same thing, just using two of its cycles.
  2. It would make the car heavier, requiring more gas to go the same distance.
  3. It would make the tasks of storing, controlling and cooling the battery much more difficult.
A PHEV trades off these disadvantages for the fact that it can drive a modest distance on the charge it gets from a cord. An Accord and a Clarity are very similar cars, but because of this tradeoff the Clarity has less space inside and gets 42 mpg (on gas) as opposed to 48.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only difference is if the battery is big enough that 4 minute drive becomes 10 minutes. And if that 10 minutes is used and the battery is depleted then the car doesn't care where the electricity comes from. If then, I charge at a power outlet overnight we're back to where we were originally and the car has no need to kick over into gas charging mode as the battery is full. That's the point of a plug in hybrid. It essentially extends your range maybe 20 miles, weighs heavier and lowers gasoline based MPG die to that but you now have overall higher mpg (or mpge) because of the lack of gas used from the car. And yes, I'm aware the bigger battery will likely take up a chunk of space.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Several studies have shown that people tend to get lazy about plugging their PHEV in regularly, defeating the energy savings of having a combined EV and hybrid. Since PHEVs tend to get lower mpg when in hybrid mode after the battery is depleted than their hybrid-only counterpart, some analysts predict PHEVs will not gain ground to become major players. This supports Hondas decision to produce the hybrid CRV as their efficient crossover while they hold out on developing a purely EV version.

I’m still waiting to drive a new hybrid CRV but in the meantime I got a new VW e-golf for $14.5k (pus tax) after applying all the available rebates and incentives. Now I plan to wait to see the next gen CRV and what improvements they might make to an already efficient vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Even assuming you could attach such a battery electrically, and you would need some large conductors, you would still have issues like weight distribution (those things are HEAVY), battery cooling and space issues.
While it could theoretically be done, assuming the computer would be happy (BIG assumption), it would probably be cheaper to just buy a vehicle with a larger battery. :)
Just finding a place to PUT a 20 kwh battery is a non-trivial issue. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you think the cargo area is for ;) you could fill the entire area with 20kw of battery and I believe it would only weigh in at a few hundred pounds. Battery cooling wouldn't be too big of an issue if the voltage required isn't too high. But ya it would ideally be reverseable and something you could just pop out for road trips etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'd have to strap/nail/weld it down pretty tight, that much weight in a collision could be a problem. :)
I see a small trailer, connected by a thick umbilical... :)
(Odd that the UK version is rated to tow 750 kg., the US version has no towing rating)
I'm sure Honda realizes all it needs is a big battery to become a viable around-town electric vehicle, they may be simply waiting on better battery tech (including their own) to make it a viable upgrade.
A third-party add-on would seem unlikely, without Honda's cooperation.
Sure would be nice, though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
or you could increase the acceleration, HP, and battery size to 42 miles by just buying a Toyota rav4 prime and rebadging it.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
235 Posts
or you could increase the acceleration, HP, and battery size to 42 miles by just buying a Toyota rav4 prime and rebadging it.
Yeh, but then you'd be stuck with a Toyota. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't like the Rav-4's AWD system, or the fact that there are planetaries in the drive train. I like the Honda drive system, simple, and pure electric drive 90% of the time.
I can't purchase ANY sort of plug-in hybrid here in Wyoming. No dealers are authorized to service them so they aren't allowed to sell them either. :-( Ford, Toyota and Subaru all claim to sell PHEVs, but not here. This is true for Colorado as well, at least as far as Subarus (Crosstrek PHEV).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very interesting comments regarding electrified vehicles. I would never touch anything electrically on these hybrids however, except LED bulbs.

I always wondered why Honda hasn't implemented an Ion battery in lieu of the 12 volt unit ( in engine bay).

The battery in my F800ST sits high and forward, quite a distance from the bikes CG. I switched to Ion; 3 pounds (1.4 kg) vs 13 (5.9 kg).
I always called Ion batteries 'electronic' because I would have to 'reboot' the F8s' unit if voltage dropped below 12.
The battery completely failed at one point and was sent a new one for $50, a little disappointing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure what you mean, the 12-volt battery under the hood runs the computers, headlights, wipers, typical automotive stuff. There is a 260-volt lithium ion battery under the trunk floor (where the spare tire used to be) that starts the ICE (the battery under the hood doesn't do that), and provides traction power to the inverter.
The high-voltage battery is air-cooled, the intake is on the starboard side of the rear seat back. Do NOT throw a coat in the back and cover that intake vent. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm simply referring to the old school, HEAVY lead battery. One would think everything by now would be lith-ion.
Ask Boeing about potential problems moving to lithium ion batteries. :)
Lead acid batteries are better in extreme cold (and heat for that matter), can provide high amperage for cranking (not needed on the CR-V hybrid), are cheaper and don't require cooling solutions.
Lithium ion is not the best solution for some applications.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Why screw around with it? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Leave it alone and just drive it and enjoy the 35ish mpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts