Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the owners guide (p 108) it says you can extend the remote start time an additional 10 min by doing the same procedure with the keyfob after you have started the vehicle during the initial 10 min run time. I have tried this and haven't been able to get it to run an additional 10 min. The procedure is similar to how it worked for the honda starter on my 2013 civic. The procedure I am following is:

lock then push and hold engine start button on fob and hold it for about 3 to 5 seconds.
Engine starts
then repeat lock then push and hold engine start for 3 to 5 seconds.

It only runs for 10 min. Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same predicament as you with my 2017 Touring. Another member told me tha I didn't understand the instructions from Honda, apparently what the manual tell you is that after the engine has been remotely started the first time (For 10 min) you could extend the time another 10 minutes on top of the time that the vehicle been running already. So if it have been running for 3 min when you send the second request, it will run for 13 minutes total:3+10=13

·
Registered
704 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh. OK thanks. On the civic it would add 10 mins to the 10 mins and run it for 20 mins. Too bad it doesn't work the same on the CRV.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honestly, I've had remote start in my VW Passat since 2013. I've used it maybe 3 times.

That being said, if I wanted to let my car run for an hour in my driveway that's my business, and not the business of nosy NY, NJ or CA politicians or police. If I own the property, the car, and the fuel and I'm obviously not screaming the engine next to the bedroom window of a neighbor, then they can go straight to you know where. And saying it's to "prevent theft"? Really? Do they also have ordinances that require multiple deadbolt locks, that you have to lock every door when you walk out even if you're cutting grass, etc?

These kinds of laws are an absolute infringement on personal rights. Just more massive over-reach.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
I wasn't taking a stand PRO or CON on those idling laws. Just pointing something out.

Of course, the best solution is to keep your car in a garage! :cool: It doesn't get as cold, there is no wind, and you NEVER have to clean off snow or frost. Get In and Go!

Many new cars don't warm up, just idling. Regular driving warms them up MUCH faster. 'Course you could freeze your tush off in the five minutes of driving it takes, if you live in Canada! :D :eek:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Upper Midwest - as cold as Canada here (or colder). I use remote start nearly every day all winter long.

Carbuff2 - How do I keep my car in the garage while I'm at work all day? :cool:

CR-V's warm up just fine idling. Leave seat heater on high FTW.

Believe me when the temp is single digits (Fahrenheit) or lower, even a little preheating matters a lot.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would expect Honda limited the engine auto start feature to 10 min for those ignorant enough to remote start their car while in the garage. There was a lawsuit against Audi a few years back because the car didn't automatically shut off after the car was parked in the garage and accidentally left running (the owner said the engine ran so smoothly that she didn't remember she left it running). The carbon monoxide built up in the garage over night and almost killed her kids sleeping in their room above the garage. I think the auto start feature is something auto manufactures are taking somewhat of a risk including in their vehicles as it is. Limiting the run time to 10 min. seems reasonable enough to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado with factory remote start. It will run for ten minutes and shut off, I can restart it one additional time. After that the remote start will not work till after the key has been used to start it. It is a Government mandate of some sort to limit idle time / fuel waste ect... I suspect it will be the same with all new factory installed remote start systems.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The article also says that vehicles with remote starters that keep doors locked are often exempt.
That being said, yet another reason why I'd never live in NY, NJ or CA. If somebody owns a vehicle, and wants to let it idle on their own property, that's their business.
I'd love to see my neighbor 911 call our PD about my CR-V idling too long. I'm sure they would respond immediately once the laughter died down...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes same problem...would not extend anytime to the initial start sequence. On top of that my CRV 2017 EX would not start after the remote sequence. I would have to start it by getting in the car. Honda first tried to tell me it only had 10 min. of run time on initial remote start up. I grabbed the tec. guy marched to the lot and said lets test that on a new one...guess what, he changed his tune. They had to replace an entire computer module to fix the problem. I'm sure they did not want to do it, don't know why it was under warranty. So don't let Honda tell you otherwise, it should run for 10 min and extend during the initial 10 min sequence...period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very cold weather and inability to make it to car within first 10 minutes. Plus, 10 minutes running idly doesn't warm the car much when it's 0 degrees and the wind chill factor makes it seem like 25 below.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts