Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all. Recently bought a 2018 CRV and I’m religiously checking and smelling the oil. I’m noticing a ton of road grime/salt water under the hood and all over the engine compartment (northeast Ohio). Its beyond what I’m used to seeing in previous cars I’ve owned. Is this normal for a 5th gen crv? Will be a pleasure to clean it out!

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,340 Posts
Mine is heading for 4 years old and still quite clean under the hood. Some surface road dust here and there.. but otherwise clean. My wifes Accord (same engine) is heading for 3 years old, and I have had to blow out the engine compartment a couple times already. The main difference between us.. she drives more, and does so mostly on freeways, where as I drive less and it is mostly slower in town commuting.

To answer your question about "normal".... depends entirely on the conditions that the vehicle was driven in really.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,537 Posts
photos are great. ours is dirty and as expected.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
180 Posts
How often are you cleaning your engine compartment? I touch mine up with every wash so it stays looking good. One advantage of the CRV having a tiny engine is there is considerable room to enable cleaning. That same amount of space could also be the reason for dirt and road crud in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often are you cleaning your engine compartment? I touch mine up with every wash so it stays looking good. One advantage of the CRV having a tiny engine is there is considerable room to enable cleaning. That same amount of space could also be the reason for dirt and road crud in the engine compartment.
Is the cover under the engine missing?
wish I knew what parts were “supposed” to be there. There is a rubber gasket that doesn’t entire house across the front under the hood- two prices I think. There seems to be a bit of a gap that allows water from the highway to spray up underneath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts