Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. I have a 2008 EX and live in Maryland. Our car sits in the driveway and catches sun on both sides from morning and afternoon sun. Our car has pretty severe fading on the exterior window trim does anyone have a solution that they tried, like ceramic coating or another product? Has anyone replaced this trim and what is the difficulty to do this? Thanks in advance. Photos attached.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
Coatings will not last.

Search eBay or Amazon for new trim pieces (might have a choice of black or stainless).

If you don't find anything, best to sand & paint it. Is it a plastic panel, or a coating?

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
Look like the gloss layer is peeling off. You can wet sand using 1000 grit sand paper to get the gloss coat off and spray new UV protective clear coat on it and it will be like new again.
OR like Carbuff2 suggest, replacing the trim pieces.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
You have more than just the peeling trims to deal with from your photo. The top horizontal trims are also faded, cracked and deteriorating too. At some point I would expect some water leaks to happen if an external seal is compromised. Which tells me you have exposed this vehicle to some harsh conditions, perhaps chemicals too, not just sun.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
You could vinyl wrap but those are so bad you’re better off replacing.

with that being said if the rest of the car dowsnt look brand new i dunno if id want new trim mixed with old trim but thats personal preference

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have more than just the peeling trims to deal with from your photo. The top horizontal trims are also faded, cracked and deteriorating too. At some point I would expect some water leaks to happen if an external seal is compromised. Which tells me you have exposed this vehicle to some harsh conditions, perhaps chemicals too, not just sun.
Look like the gloss layer is peeling off. You can wet sand using 1000 grit sand paper to get the gloss coat off and spray new UV protective clear coat on it and it will be like new again.
OR like Carbuff2 suggest, replacing the trim pieces.
Wet sanding seems like a lot of work, maybe cost effective to replace if cheap enough. Thanks.
The only harsh conditions are the weather here, mostly just summer and winter, fall and spring are almost non existing anymore. I've never used harsh chemicals on the car, only soap and wax. The other rubber on the car is fading too and I've heard this is a problem with the gen. 3 series.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Wow - that looks pretty rough. I live in Texas, where it is far hotter and sunnier (we are 5 million miles closer to the sun), and mine on my '07 still look brand new just keeping them waxed. My car has always sat outside too. It looks to me like maybe someone scrubbed or buffed these really hard or something for that to happen. I'd just get new ones. Hondapartsnow has them:

Rear ones are about $20 per door and front ones about $6 per door, so under $60 plus tax & shipping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - that looks pretty rough. I live in Texas, where it is far hotter and sunnier (we are 5 million miles closer to the sun), and mine on my '07 still look brand new just keeping them waxed. My car has always sat outside too. It looks to me like maybe someone scrubbed or buffed these really hard or something for that to happen. I'd just get new ones. Hondapartsnow has them:

Rear ones are about $20 per door and front ones about $6 per door, so under $60 plus tax & shipping.
I agree you have it worse in TX as far as weather, I was just commenting on someone's weather comment. I don't think the weather is that bad but sure do wish I had a garage. I promise you nothing was scrubbed or used on them. Maybe armor all once or twice, but nothing else. Actually I saw an 07/08 a while ago that was bought where mine was with similar fading as the passenger rear door.. My pass. front looks like it is peeling. No other parts look like this on my car. Thanks for the lookup and the link for parts. I haven't been outside much, can't wait for coast to be clear so I can go see how to get them off the car.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I've seen a few like yours around here. It kind of makes me wonder if, at some point, Honda had a supply issue and sourced some of these from a sub-standard supplier. I'm not saying that happened, I'm just wondering out loud.

Heck, I have a garage, but it is a woodshop, and has no room for a car.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
IMO weather is a contributing factor, but its also how you maintain your car exterior as well. The exterior get exposed to the harsh environment (UV, chemical, heat, cold) so frequent washing and good protectant goes a long way. I use to own a black honda accord, the California weather is not as harsh as Texas, but once the gloss coat started peeling, it goes down hill from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts