Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 Honda CR-V EX after my 2006 Honda CR-V was totaled in an accident. In my new CR-V, I notice an extra "engine" noise from time to time, especially when I go up or down a hill or around a corner. I almost sounds like a fan of some sort. Is this normal? My 2006 didn't have this noise.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The 2015-current CR-Vs have direct injected gasoline engines, which can be a bit noisier having an almost "diesel-like" sound at times. That's probably not what you're hearing.

Your 2016 CR-V also has a CVT (continuously variable transmission) that has a virtually infinite number of ratios. Your 2006 had a 5-speed automatic transmission (assuming it was an automatic). I've noticed in more recent years Honda is using software to help maintain momentum when going up a hill without having to compensate for speed loss by pressing the accelerator as much, which gives the impression the vehicle has more power than it does. As a result, the transmission will "downshift" at times causing an increase in engine speed (and noise) even though you may not be pressing the accelerator pedal more. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You're definitely hearing CVT noise. I hear it in my Civic when I accelerate fast. I actually hear more CVT noise than engine noise.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I had three Accords with the CVT and the trans didn't make any more oise than the 5 speed auto. The extra noise is from the direct injection.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I had three Accords with the CVT and the trans didn't make any more oise than the 5 speed auto. The extra noise is from the direct injection.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Weird, I experience the complete opposite with my Civic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've driven or ridden in a few CVT-equiped vehicles: Nissan Versa, Nissan Rogue, Nissan Altima, two CR-Vs, and two Civics and never heard any transmission noise. I can, however, hear the injectors in the CR-Vs at low RPMs if the radio and fan are off and I'm paying attention. Aside from more road and wind noise that I'd prefer, I don't hear any unusual noises in my CR-V.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I get a diesel like sound at about 1200 RPMs with my 2015 Tourings, if not accelerating hard. I always assumed it was something replacing the (Engine/Tranny/Radiator) mounts would also remedy (the mode 1 tsb fix items) She hasnt had her first oil change, and no plans to have the TSB applied at this point. (any vibrations are minor) That 1200rpm 'diesel' sound bothers me more, tbh :) hah I can hear a slight whine noise when coasting/slowing down, which I assume is the CVT, but it is what I consider normal. These are my first CVT equipped vehicles, and I think they did a great job making it feel like a traditional transmission. No complaints about performance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No issues on my 2016 crv. Why not try a test drive of another crv at dealershiipp to test out difference

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi rhody

I am also facing exact same thing as you mentioned in my 2016 crv sci. Did you found solution for it yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts