Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for answers to why my 2005 CR-V 2.2 CTDI vibrates heavily when accelerating.

This is very noticeable in most gears and at about 1200 RPM up to about 3000.

I have searched the internet and most advise that it is the Inner CV joints and Drive Shafts that need replacing.

I have had this done and the vibration is still there. Although less noticeable.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this and what they did to resolve.

My thoughts were -

Rear Diff? Maybe a fluid change. Although I am not getting noise when turning on hard lock which normally means this needs to be done.

Engine mounts? Maybe increased torque is throwing the engine out of balance?

Gearbox? Hope not!

Any advise would be great.

Many thanks,

Jim

·
Everything in Moderation
8,044 Posts
If the issue is RPM related, yes: motor mounts.

If the issue is speed related, consider the driveshafts.

You can eliminate the main propshaft and rear diff by removing the shaft for a while (you will have front wheel drive only). It's easy, but be sure to mark the position of everything, and support the center bearing whilst it is being removed.

+++++++

As a petrol engine owner (USA) I'm not sure how smooth the Diesel engine is normally. Some four cylinder engines have resonant vibrations at certain RPMs...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise.

I took the car to Honda and they still say it is the front drive shafts. They ruled out the rear diff + prop shaft.
I had after market ones fitted as they were only £135 each complete with CV joints.

Before they were replaced the vibration was at about 50 - 75 MPH
Now it is much lower, from start to about 30 MPH.

I am now attempting to have a 2nd hand set from a write off with low mileage. If this works then the garage can get a refund on the others.

Carbuff2 :- When you say remove the main prop shaft, does this have to be done at both the engine end + rear diff end? Otherwise it will still rotate?
Does it have to be removed completely is what I'm asking?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes it needs removed at both ends and the middle hanger as well. It can be removed in a matter of 3 minutes. And is simple. If I remember correctly when I took mine off, it's either a 10 or 12mm bolt. Only trick is you will need a 12 point socket.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,044 Posts
Thanks for answering, Honda4Life. I'm remembering that both ends are male Torx nuts...

Jim,

If you can feel a vibration "from start" (at very low speeds) I'd look to the tires...a shifted belt will do that. A quick rotation will help pinpoint this...if the symptoms change with rotation (not necessarily go away) it's in the tires.

Binding universal joints on the propshaft can also cause vibration...25 to 40 MPH is what I remember.

It's possible a damaged or incorrectly torqued axle spline could induce a wobble that you are feeling as a vibration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem. Found a rough patch as big as my little finger`s nail on the outer CV joint. Smoothed it with sanding paper and that solved the problem. The secret of problem free CV joints are to fill the cover completely with lubricant. That way the parts are well lubricated at all times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts